Couple Initial Thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jz1

Reaction score
Just picked up my truck yesterday. Overall like it a lot. Looks great in Avalance Grey with all the darker trim. Interior is awesome but I guess that's similar for all new F150/250s (I previously had a 2015 F250), ride and handling on road are very good though big tires certainly hurt response to repeated left right steering input. Power is decent but not awesome. Biggest issues:

1) Motor is just underwhelming given strength of rest of platform. This thing deserves a supercharged V8 or at least a very high output V8. Sounds and feel from this motor are just a bit lacking again relative to how strong rest of package is. For $67K MSRP i just think it deserves better

2) Brake feel - just seems like you have to push a long way to get it to really grip. F250 brakes were awesome. These are underwhelming. Again, would be easy to fix this. Also, might just be me but there seems to be too much space between the gas/brake pedals. lifted foot off gas a few times only to put it down to right of brake pedal. Guess I'm used to heel/toe distance from my cars and think the F250 was different as well.

Other than that enjoying it a lot. I would pay another $10K to have a really world class V8 in this thing though. Think they just sold the platform a little short with the 3.5

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your candor, you may be subpoenaed by the GenWar counsel and be asked to submit your testimony under oath. We'll be in touch.

New pads and rotors up front will fix that lack of braking for <$500.

Couldn't agree more on the motor, even tho that ecobeast is no slouch. But that horse has been beaten and is rotting out back.

Last edited:

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pedal Commander will help that power concern. It takes the truck to a different (better) level. Of course, it does not increase HP, but it does bring those turbos in sooner. Huge gain for a three minute install.

matt33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the first complaint I've heard about lack of power. Most complaints are about sound. FWIW, I'm happy with both.

Agreed.

I just picked mine up the other night, but so far it seems like an amazing truck. I had a 2012 Raptor and IMHO this 2017 is much improved in pretty much every way. The new engine feels every bit of its rated 450 HP and 510 ft lb of torque. It feels much more powerful to me than the outgoing 6.2L V8.

I anticipated that the V6 would sound bad, but it actually sounds pretty cool to me. The ride is also a lot smoother on road and in the rough stuff than my 2012. I've read some new Raptor owners complain that the 10 speed transmission does a lot of gear hunting, but mine shift perfectly and seems to always be in the right gear.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You’re not the first to appreciate the long travel brakes. Some seem to be happy with them, others here are feeling underwhelmed by the brakes. I’m not expecting 105’ foot stops from 60, but I’m keeping an eye on things for a possible upgrade in the future.

1) Motor is just underwhelming given strength of rest of platform. This thing deserves a supercharged V8 or at least a very high output V8. Sounds and feel from this motor are just a bit lacking again relative to how strong rest of package is. For $67K MSRP i just think it deserves better

The context is lacking here. Have you tried the truck in sport mode? What about Mall/Starbucks mode? (kidding) I think it was Jeff-Ohio who suggested that tow mode will also help, it’s still normal mode, but with tow, there’s no gear skipping and I think it shifts a little less eco and a little more ‘work’ mode.

If you’ve only driven the stock truck in eco mode, yeah, you’re going to be underwhelmed by the power. The trans and computer are constantly shoving overdrive ratios at you, and doing it’s damnedest to keep you under 1500 rpms Sport abandons that strategy and holds a higher minimum rpm / gear so no upshifting to inappropriate gears.

Pedal commander can definitely change the driving experience and help mute the eco experience driving in normal mode. It alters the throttle input sent so you get more boost at lower throttle and the transmission is more willing to downshift. P/C sport plus Raptor Sport makes the truck quite responsive.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed.

I just picked mine up the other night, but so far it seems like an amazing truck. I had a 2012 Raptor and IMHO this 2017 is much improved in pretty much every way. The new engine feels every bit of its rated 450 HP and 510 ft lb of torque. It feels much more powerful to me than the outgoing 6.2L V8.

I anticipated that the V6 would sound bad, but it actually sounds pretty cool to me. The ride is also a lot smoother on road and in the rough stuff than my 2012.
I've read some new Raptor owners complain that the 10 speed transmission does a lot of gear hunting, but mine shift perfectly and seems to always be in the right gear.

Fixed it for ya

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is the first complaint I've heard about lack of power. Most complaints are about sound. FWIW, I'm happy with both.

I agree...

coming from an E55 AMG daily driver with 600HP - the Raptor isn't as quick by any means, but it moves out MUCH faster than I ever expected!

Sure it doesn't sound like a V-8 - I never expected it to, I got the HO3.5EB because it would give me 2 things:

1. enough power initially - with room to grow with a tune
2. better MPG than what I'm used to :)

Raptize

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my truck yesterday. Overall like it a lot. Looks great in Avalance Grey with all the darker trim. Interior is awesome but I guess that's similar for all new F150/250s (I previously had a 2015 F250), ride and handling on road are very good though big tires certainly hurt response to repeated left right steering input. Power is decent but not awesome. Biggest issues:

2) Brake feel - just seems like you have to push a long way to get it to really grip. F250 brakes were awesome. These are underwhelming. Again, would be easy to fix this. Also, might just be me but there seems to be too much space between the gas/brake pedals. lifted foot off gas a few times only to put it down to right of brake pedal. Guess I'm used to heel/toe distance from my cars and think the F250 was different as well.

Other than that enjoying it a lot. I would pay another $10K to have a really world class V8 in this thing though. Think they just sold the platform a little short with the 3.5

Pay another $10k for a world class V8? For what would an extra $10k be paying for exactly? The truck has an all new twin turbo V6... The previous 6.2 V8 wasn't up to your specifications? Don't get me wrong here, I would have preferred a V8 option but from what I hear this new motor does a great job.

I'm currently awaiting for my truck to be built so I have only experienced a short test drive but I would not be willing to pay another $10k for a more simplified motor. I would have kept my 2014 Raptor for that.

The Tundra has a world class V8...Maybe try that out.