Commuting in a new raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshuak172

Reaction score
Anyone here commute a significant distance in their new raptor? I live about 50 miles outside of dc and do that five days a week. I had a 2017 f250 and did it for 6 months in that but the lack of adaptive cruise killed it. I know I should just get a tesla or something but it would really be great to have a truck to use on the farm without needing an additional vehicle. Thoughts?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
depends on where you’re coming from and how you get to the swamp.

if it’s by 95, 66 or 270.... yes, you can do it, but... get a beater.
If you’re only doing part of that ride by interstate maybe it won’t be so bad.

You will pile up miles on the truck quick with that kind of commute, and you’ll be out of warranty before you know it. This will tank any value you may have for trade up or subsequent sale, you’ll be about 2 - 2.25 x average mileage.

OTOH, the Raptor is a very nice ride and if your beater is uncomfortable you’ll end up making excuses to commute in the Raptor.

I don’t commute in mine, but have taken it on a few trips including a trip down 95S in the absolute worst ***** of a traffic jam because my wife committed us to plans before leaving. Honestly, the Raptor made it almost too easy.

14 BlackScrew RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> I live about 50 miles outside of dc and do that five days a week. <<<
The first question that comes to mind is, are there any public transportation ( Train ) that is near your home town that goes into DC?
A 10 to 15 min drive to the train station, then a train ride should be far less stressful that any major interstate into DC no matter what time of the day.
Get a cup of Starbucks Coffee and the morning newspaper ( ooops! sorry, nobody buys a newspaper any more) and your iPad for the ride in on the train.

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2017 f250 and did it for 6 months in that but the lack of adaptive cruise killed it.

Then you shouldn’t get a Raptor... Get the Tesla X or 2018 F150 and be done with it. The Raptor has adaptive cruise but it won’t bring it to a full stop and resume when traffic clears.

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I drive 30 miles each way. Its an excellent commuter. Its comfortable and I arrive rested. Dont really care about gas or racking up miles. I really like driving the thing. I do have 2 other vehicles but I like commuting in the Rap the best.

As for adaptive cruise, what ever happened to just driving? Personally I prefer being in full control.

Last edited:

Ltl6pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone here commute a significant distance in their new raptor? I live about 50 miles outside of dc and do that five days a week. I had a 2017 f250 and did it for 6 months in that but the lack of adaptive cruise killed it. I know I should just get a tesla or something but it would really be great to have a truck to use on the farm without needing an additional vehicle. Thoughts?

Hi, I have a 17 Screw that I drive 30 miles one way to work 5 days a week. Love It! If you get one it will be hard not to drive it everywhere! I got mine on 1/31/17, and have 9000 miles on it without any issues. If you are the type person who is worried about miles building up and hurting resale in a couple years do not buy one. I have 5 other cars and two of those where driven most before I got my Raptor. My wife enjoys riding in it more than she does driving her BMW! If you plan on keeping it then get one and enjoy it! I have 2000 miles off road with mine, hate to get back on the pavement most of the time!

cobra281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, 16mi each way... Always had a company car so retired from one and landed another job. Absolutely love it! Avg. 16.4mi/g... I'm filling up every 2 1/2 weeks, with larger tank of course... Don't worry about racked up mileage, if you're anything like I am, you'll be waiting till the newer generation and be trading/selling your current one!

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The refreshed 2018 F-150 line, Lariat and above, has a more sophisticated adaptive cruise that will do stop and go traffic. Unfortunately the Raptor didn't get this upgrade.