Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]

Clunk/Thumping noise on startup?

This is a discussion on Clunk/Thumping noise on startup? within the Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
Anyone else notice this...when I start my Raptor (mostly when it's already warmed up), I sometimes get a "Thump or ...

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Clunk/Thumping noise on startup?
Anyone else notice this...when I start my Raptor (mostly when it's already warmed up), I sometimes get a "Thump or Clunking" noise right when the engine catches and starts. doesn't sound terminal or anything, but have noticed it on several occasions now.

Did a search and nothing came up, anyone else notice this?

PS It happens so quickly, right at startup, it's hard to get a handle on what it could be. Doesn't sound like an exhaust noise...

Old 08-12-2018, 05:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

first 5 mins, will hear roughly 5 metal clunk, being told it's normal.
cao0215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Same here. Never does it cold, only hot. Real quick bang and that's it. Mines an 18 with about 5k on it
2018RubyRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

I get that too. Always thought it was the AC compressor clutch engaging. I could be wrong though.
jabroni619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys, always good to hear it's likely normal and others have heard it as well. I agree it doesn't sound terminal or anything. Mine's not likely the AC compressor as I generally don't run the air, almost always just have the windows down. I'll keep an "ear" on it and post back should anything change. Thanks!!

Old 08-14-2018, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by HotLap View Post
Thanks guys, always good to hear it's likely normal and others have heard it as well. I agree it doesn't sound terminal or anything. Mine's not likely the AC compressor as I generally don't run the air, almost always just have the windows down. I'll keep an "ear" on it and post back should anything change. Thanks!!
These trucks are uniquely noisy, but in a lot of cases it doesn't seem to be anything that causes problems. I've had this ticking noise since 11k, and can't locate the source. It has not caused any problems, so I've mostly forgotten about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rTI77WZ5js
rtmozingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's normal, it's caused by slack in the drive shaft when starting the truck warm. My 2018 do this from day one and I did some extensive research. Very common in the regular F150. If you search cluck noise when starting warm F150 in google you will find very clear explanation as to why there is slack in the drive shaft. I was so worried when I first got my truck I spent two days reading this stuff. Funny there is not much in the raptor forum on this, just in the F150 forums. Hope this helps.
gobie18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Now that you mention the driveshaft slack it does make sense. Happens when I'm on the hill, set the parking brake in neutral to let it catch the drums and then put it in park.
2018RubyRed is offline   Reply With Quote