"Click-clack" noise from t-case in 4L?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night I took my 2018 Raptor which is 1.5 weeks old (about 900 miles on it) for some mild off-roading. I tried 4L just to get a feel for it. Every gentle nudge of the accelerator to apply throttle, as well as when releasing the throttle, results in a metallic "click-clack" sound from I'm assuming the transfer case. Functionally, it worked fine. However, while the truck was in 4A and 4H, no such noises were heard. Is this normal? To me, it sounds like slack in the drivetrain.

ReefBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normal. I had the same question, but it mentions in the user manual that some noise may be heard.

OP
OP
T

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like that to be the case...but the language in the owner's manual is pretty much the same thing as I've read in the owner's manuals to all the other Ford 4x4 trucks I've had. None of my other trucks ever made this type of noise (or any noise) in low range. So I'm suspicious.

What I'd really like to know is if other owners are experiencing the same noise in low?

OP
OP
T

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else notice some pronounced sounds when the transmission shifts from drive to reverse? I'm wondering if this is part of my drivetrain slack problem. Low range is putting more torque on the driveshafts. Shifting from Drive to Reverse in 2WD also makes a bit of a clack noise. I notice zero vibration or other problem symptoms...but I'm thinking about crawling under and checking the rear driveshaft u-joint.