Clean those MAP sensors!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just rolled 18k miles and cleaned my MAP sensors for the first time. In the last 3-4k miles, my mpg had taken a noticeable hit even accounting for winter blend gas.

I just sprayed down all 3 MAP sensors (two on the air intake itself, one on the back of the engine block underneath the foam engine cover) yesterday and in the 75 mile drive since then, MPG is back to where it used to be (~19 on highway)!

Just a friendly maintenance reminder to folks.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Good reminder for people - make sure you are cleaning all 3, every oil change. CRC works best.

Attachments

• BD1581B2-2C4E-4A30-9238-B49F78C066C1.jpeg
    BD1581B2-2C4E-4A30-9238-B49F78C066C1.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 787
OP
OP
X

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a catch can reduce this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think so. MAF/MAP sensors get dirty over time mostly due to dust that gets past the air filter. Not oil related.

In fact, my mpg hit started right after a 1000 mile offroad trip that involved driving through dust clouds most of the time. I changed the air filter right after that trip but only just got around to cleaning the MAP sensors.

Last edited:

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MAP = manifold air pressure.. The sensors in the air intake tube(s) are not MAP sensors. Probably MAF (mass airflow) and IAT (intake air temperature).

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Would a catch can reduce this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

MAP = manifold air pressure.. The sensors in the air intake tube(s) are not MAP sensors. Probably MAF (mass airflow) and IAT (intake air temperature).

No, they are indeed MAP sensors. You guys are slowly learning the care and maintenance required on these. This 3.5 ecoboost platform has been around a while and many have learned how to properly maintain it... which in fact is vastly more than other engines out there.

bumwhine

Reaction score
MAP sensors are in the manifold. The sensor in the intake tube is IAT. These cars have no MAF sensor.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nope.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

No, they are indeed MAP sensors. You guys are slowly learning the care and maintenance required on these. This 3.5 ecoboost platform has been around a while and many have learned how to properly maintain it... which in fact is vastly more than other engines out there.

Not true,

The Turbo's on this beast are so powerful that they literally blow all dirt and debris off the sensors and even keeps the inside of the engine sparkling clean.

Other manufacturers are trying to replicate

Its been the most maintenance free vehicle Ive ever owned! Im not sure oil changes are even necessary

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought you "did your research" before buying your mystical truck

If you would have even seen one or worked on one you would clearly understand that the sensor in the intake piping is not the MAP. It is the IAT.

Great advice though :supergay:

Nope.