Ceramic coating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quigs_dpfd

Reaction score
Hey, saw your comment and curious what shop you used for your ceramic and how much it cost? I have my Raptor in order right now and would like to get it coated right after I get it. Let me know. Thanks!

RobP

Reaction score
I got mine back after the Modesta coating. First impression is that it's very reflective! It's a glass coating and really looks great on the black paint. They applied BC-04 on the paint and BC-08 on the trim. It was then treated with with a temporary Modesta topper that will serve as a sacrificial layer while the coating continues to "crystallize" over the next 4 weeks or so. It was cured under heat lamps at the shop, but they said for the best protection leave it alone (no washing) for the next month. In addition I had them apply Llumar self healing film to the B pillars as they tend to see a lot of wear and tear.

Even though I didn't wash it and brought it to them right after I picked it up, they needed to do a 2 stage paint correction to fix the factory paint before coating. There's nothing like a perfect black paint job without any swirls or scratches!!

Attachments

• Inked2018-03-23 18.16.46_LI.jpg
    Inked2018-03-23 18.16.46_LI.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 76

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine back after the Modesta coating. First impression is that it's very reflective! It's a glass coating and really looks great on the black paint. They applied BC-04 on the paint and BC-08 on the trim. It was then treated with with a temporary Modesta topper that will serve as a sacrificial layer while the coating continues to "crystallize" over the next 4 weeks or so. It was cured under heat lamps at the shop, but they said for the best protection leave it alone (no washing) for the next month. In addition I had them apply Llumar self healing film to the B pillars as they tend to see a lot of wear and tear.

Even though I didn't wash it and brought it to them right after I picked it up, they needed to do a 2 stage paint correction to fix the factory paint before coating. There's nothing like a perfect black paint job without any swirls or scratches!!

I hope you know ceramics/coatings don't self heal and still show scratches and swirls even with two bucket grit guard hand washing

If you want swirl free, you want something like Xpel or Suntek self healing film

SeXualAVENGER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I had terrible high spots and the installer blamed the product. He came back and basically taped off those areas and left a real mess. I couldn't be more disappointed. I complained to him and optimum. I got no help from optimum. The correction is so poor that I told the guy I don't think he is capable of fixing the problems. He didn't like that and took it personally but its the case....

I registered opticoatsucks.com . I might use it....

That’s interesting. Optimum is very selective on who they allow to install their product and track every single tube of their product. Did you check on optimum‘s website to see if the guy was an official installer? Their coatings come with a warranty and you should get an email from the company confirming the product/satisfaction. Sounds like you may have some hack that installed gloss coat (their consumer grade ceramic coating) or another product passed off as Opti coat. Also, optimum customer service is generally very good and accessible. Seems fishy.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

RobP

Reaction score
I hope you know ceramics/coatings don't self heal and still show scratches and swirls even with two bucket grit guard hand washing

Lol! I was saying that it looks great now that it's been corrected. I do know that it won't stay this way :biggrin:

heffneil

Reaction score
I contacted optimum. They said I had to go back to the original installer. I explained he had been back two times already and the first he blamed the product. The second I can't tell you whos failt it is but how many times is too many for this to be completed properly. He said he worked on my hood and it wouldn't get better the second time. The correction is poor under the coating and now I have to question which coating he used.

He left the syringes from the first time and I happen to take pictures of them. Each was from a different lot....

Meanwhile I registered opticoatsucks.com

He came back and fixed the second visit but the problem is underneath the coating is still poor. I found someone else who came out and did my Tesla Model X and it looks better than new. He spent two days on a silver car that is significantly smaller than the Raptor. The original guy did one day on the Raptor - not enough time. Anyway next time I use the second guy because its obvious he takes pride in his work. First guy showed me pictures of nice cars - sure they look good in the pictures but under the light and in the sun - they can't be good.

---------- Post added at 07:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 AM ----------

This looks good. I would ditch the red dots on the tires but thats me. I bought this astro pneumatic light that the second guy who did my tesla uses.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CHP76CU/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

I would suggest getting one and testing your car. It will show you if someone farted on it as they walked by! Quite remarkable!