Ceramic coating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkfuel

Reaction score
Never used that coating. I will say that it's expensive and it depends on the detailer that applies it. The prep and application are variable but important to how the final product will look. In my opinion ceramic coatings are not worth it.

Also, I've never experienced a product that once applied eliminates maintenance care of the paint surface. Coatings make the routine washings and other surface care a bit easier but don't replace it. I've also seen plenty of cars that with proper paint care never had a coating applied, don't need a coating and look just as good after years....

gryGhst17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. My research showed me that you are still required to care for it. At some point it also needs to be reapplied. Furthermore, if by some chance something happens, it's quite difficult to remove.

If you must though, Adam's has a diy kit that will save you significantly. You can read about application and care on their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReyLorenzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 7 year ceramic coating on my Cobra and it's worth every penny of the $1,500 that it cost me. Recently, the detailing company that did my Cobra became certified to install a self healing coating which is much thicker than any wax or ceramic coating. Although it costs more it's a much better product. I'm going to have them install it on my 2018 Raptor.
https://www.facebook.com/EmpireAutoSpaInc/videos/1001948329948442/

rock342

Reaction score
I have the OptiCoat on my 17 Raptor - put it on about 3 weeks after i bought the truck. So i can tell your first hand what its like to wash the truck before and after the coating was applied.
It's a night and day difference in how long it takes now to clean the vehicle. I live where we have extremely hard water, leaving water spots everywhere. Those are a thing of the past. Now when i wash the truck, i use a couple of cap fulls of the fancy OptiCoat no rinse wash, two buckets and a sponge. Take about 20 mins to do the whole truck, and the truck is MUCH cleaner to start with. The coating really keeps a lot of dirt etc off the truck in the first place so its easier to clean.
None of these coatings are cheap. Who really knows how long it will last. It's going to get tested for real this weekend on my first Arizona Raptor Run....

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are able to wash the vehicle yourself correctly (2 bucket method, no automatic washes) then a ceramic is absolutely worth it

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a high-quality, high-end mobile detailer who washes my Raptor and he quoted me $1,000 for ceramic coating the whole truck. The devil is in the details - prepping the truck and doing it in as dust-free a location as possible is key to quality work. I'm thinking seriously of doing it and he said he applies it right over the XPEL clear bra on my truck - no problem.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a high-quality, high-end mobile detailer who washes my Raptor and he quoted me $1,000 for ceramic coating the whole truck. The devil is in the details - prepping the truck and doing it in as dust-free a location as possible is key to quality work. I'm thinking seriously of doing it and he said he applies it right over the XPEL clear bra on my truck - no problem.

Don't put ceramic on Xpel even though everyone says otherwise - you're sealing away the ability to self heal

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's double speak

True the Xpel hasn't lost is self healing but it also isn't getting scratched now

The ceramic (which isn't self healing) is where the majority of all your scratches will live - if you have a dark car, you'll see all these scratches don't go away on a hot day

Use a non permanent sealant like Sonax net polymer or Xpel sealant instead - still protects your Xpel and allows it to self heal