GEN 2 Can't lock rear Diff in 2H?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UhOh

Reaction score
That was/is one of the best features of the Gen 1... could lock the rear. And it stayed locked at any speed; did not automatically disengage.
VERY surprised that was changed on the Gen 2!

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No locker in 2wd is a disappointment.

My 13' FX4 had 2wd locker but it would unlock at 25 and then you had to drop below 20 for it to engage again. That was a bit annoying out drifting on the snowy roads but at least you had it.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i checked all the off road write ups on it, and yeah, nobody mentions going 2wd locked.

this is gonna suck for TRR - running the course in 4wd is going to mean a lot of busted trucks on the course.

D

Deleted member 12951

i checked all the off road write ups on it, and yeah, nobody mentions going 2wd locked.

this is gonna suck for TRR - running the course in 4wd is going to mean a lot of busted trucks on the course.

Do you run locked in 2wd at TRR? I stopped using it because I've seen a few failed rearends happen. Seems like if one side grabs and the other doesn't, there goes your gears. Maybe more so on the 34 spline ones than the 35's but just don't want to risk it. I usually run 2wd and turn off TC (in sport mode or fully off) and off-road mode and have had really good luck with that at TRR. I ran like that in Baja and even Trey recommended not locking, everyone was fine.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you run locked in 2wd at TRR? I stopped using it because I've seen a few failed rearends happen. Seems like if one side grabs and the other doesn't, there goes your gears. Maybe more so on the 34 spline ones than the 35's but just don't want to risk it. I usually run 2wd and turn off TC (in sport mode or fully off) and off-road mode and have had really good luck with that at TRR. I ran like that in Baja and even Trey recommended not locking, everyone was fine.

I have 10 events under the truck now, always run all nannies off, ORM on, rears locked. I only dropped to 4wd for the silt hill and the mud bath at Octoberfest 2014.

Never had an issue with the rear end. This last event ran super hard all three days, put over 450 miles on the track on 37's and other than having to field modify my PS system with a cooler, everything ran tight and fast.

D

Deleted member 12951

I have 10 events under the truck now, always run all nannies off, ORM on, rears locked. I only dropped to 4wd for the silt hill and the mud bath at Octoberfest 2014.

Never had an issue with the rear end. This last event ran super hard all three days, put over 450 miles on the track on 37's and other than having to field modify my PS system with a cooler, everything ran tight and fast.

Raptoberfest 14' wasn't that bad after the first day. You sure you don't mean TRR 15' mud bath? Geez, that weekend was the shit.

MIAMIRAPTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah seriously... that's borderline a deal-breaker for me. Outside of when 4wd is required the only setup I ever really use is 2WD, TC off, diff locked, and ORM on (otherwise known as fun-mode).

Is it even possible to run in the dunes/sand in 2wd without the diff locked?

No driver-mods allowed on the jen-mall-crawler I guess...