GEN 2 California residents buying out of state - CA emissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRun16

Reaction score
To the California residents buying out of state, have you guys had any issues with the CA emissions? I've seen mixed reviews saying it's not a big deal and some say that it is. If it doesn't state whether it has the CA emissions, can it be easily added? Is there an additional cost?

What has been people's experience?

I'm willing to go almost anywhere to find a truck for the right price, but am concerned if trying to bring a truck back to CA that doesn't have the emissions on it, will be a big hassle. But on the other hand, trying to find a truck in CA for even 5k over MSRP is near impossible. I've heard of some being sold for 30k over....

Any advice and wisdom will be much appreciated!

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2018 which I purchased in NH states on the window sticker: California Emissions System - No Charge.

I'm guessing all Raptors are so equipped.

I think the vast majority of dealers with Raptors are charging more than sticker. I paid $5k over. Most I see are $10k over. However, there appears to be a dealer (Autonation) in Amherst, OH which has a 2017 fully loaded crew cab Raptor for $3200 *under* sticker. If that is real, it is a great deal for someone willing to fly and buy or pay for shipping.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
JRun16, this has been covered extensively on FRF. Thanks to the good folks here especially SOAKINRED who really helped a LOT I was able to buy out of state and register here in Kalifornia.

While the CA DMV is plagued/overloaded with incompetence the registration process was straightforward except for them wasting a lot of my time and ******** up so I paid for registration twice - once through my out of state dealer and a 2nd time directly to DVM (thanks CA DMV). I did get a refund from my out-of-state-dealer.

I did the search for you because I know what I'm looking for:

Read this thread and look at post #8 in this thread by SOAKINRED as well as post #25 from GizmoVance - see the pics:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f260/california-emissions-53566/

Here's another:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f260/word-caution-out-state-buyers-51458/

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your Raptor purchase/registration. Make sure the Raptor you buy has the CA info on the underhood sticker!

Search for info - there's lots of it here!

Last edited:

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
troverman, NOT ALL RAPTORS have the CA sticker!

Fair enough. Any idea why my NH Raptor has this package free of charge?

I wonder what is different. This truck has the most rich-smelling exhaust when it starts up on a cold day than anything else I have smelled in quite some time.

OP
OP
J

JRun16

Reaction score
@WhatExit? ... Thanks for the help. Being new here, there is a lot of content. I appreciate for pointing me in the right direction.

@troverman .... I will keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for the heads up.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All Raptor built have the exact same emissions. The difference is a decal that says CA compliant.

Correct. But without that decal/sticker that shows CA Emissions compliance that Raptor will not be legal in Kalifornia.

Do not buy a Raptor without that sticker if you're planning on registering it here!

Fair enough. Any idea why my NH Raptor has this package free of charge? I wonder what is different.

The only thing that is different is the ones with the CA Emissions compliance sticker have that NO COST OPTION. Other Raptors do not have it and they cannot be registered in CA.

Last edited:

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems the other post was saying the stickers under the hood ALL say CA Tier 5, Bin 3...whatever it is.

Is it simply what is on the window sticker? And that is linked to the VIN? I cannot understand if the emissions systems are identical and the truck passes the smog test how could they deny registration?

I would never live in the state. Some beautiful geography...terrible politics.

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the OP if you look around more in CA you can find a Raptor at MSRP.

Found mine at MSRP from Penske Ford in La Mesa, CA.

I also had placed an order for one @ Jim Burke in Bakersfield with a very small mark up. But the one in La Mesa popped up and I canceled my order in Bakersfield and took the one that was immediately available.

You have to be patient and be willing to call/ email around to lots and lots of dealers. Believe me they will be motivated to sell at MSRP as lots of these trucks are sitting on dealers collecting dust.

Let me know if you have any questions.

OP
OP
J

JRun16

Reaction score
@ Whatexit? .... reading the posts you sent me, what was the outcome of your situation proving to the dealer the car could be registered in CA? Were you able to register per GizmoVance's instructions?

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Thank you Murph145. I have found quite a few dealerships that still do have 2017's. Hoping with the new '18's, i could work out a good deal, in state or out. We'll see.