California emissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemkin57

Reaction score
I bought my for msrp from Tasca ford in Berlin, CT. I didn't pay any sales tax. Had it shipped to CA. When I registered it with the DMV here in the people's republic I paid the sales tax, paid to have it smogged and now have to have it weighed. A bit of a hassle but still a win over getting ***** by the dealers here in CA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my for msrp from Tasca ford in Berlin, CT. I didn't pay any sales tax. Had it shipped to CA. When I registered it with the DMV here in the people's republic I paid the sales tax, paid to have it smogged and now have to have it weighed. A bit of a hassle but still a win over getting ***** by the dealers here in CA.

Thanks Hemkin and Soakinred, this opens up my search a lot. I wish I knew this three months ago, I would've had my Raptor by now. I searched for threads and the only one that pops up is the emissions sticker thread that soakinred started.

Maybe an admin can sticky that or this tread for us and help make these ADM dealers go down in Komifornia (cough Grody cough McCoy)

GizmoVance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tax Differential

I live in CA as well and will likely get mine out of state too... for those of you who did this already, what are the tax implications? I know we must pay CA sales tax when we register the car in CA but I'm wondering about sales tax in the state we buy the car in?

When you go to the DMV, you certify or show proof of how much tax you've paid so far (to the other state). They subtract that amount from the NEW California Tax amount, then charge you the difference. In theory, IF those two states had identical tax rates, you would pay only the registration fees.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the physical differences in the emissions system are between a CA Emissions version and a non-California emissions? Thanks!

GizmoVance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Identical vehicle!

Does anyone know what the physical differences in the emissions system are between a CA Emissions version and a non-California emissions? Thanks!

NOT A DAMN THING!!!!!!

In fact, the friggin' EMISSIONS STICKER is the SAME!!!! I know, I have the non-CA truck and have actually photographed it's sticker AND the CA sticker...and they identical...word for word!!! I'll even post a picture of both versions. The sticker on the Avi Gray (left) is the CA model, and the Blue is mine...a "non-CA" model (right).

I'm so ticked off at this charade, that I'm going to "try" and do something to make a change at the DMV. It's clear that they have not kept up with the current standards and labeling!

The ONLY thing that differentiates these trucks is a ridiculous CHECKBOX on the order form. But, I smell a greedy rat...my guess is "someone" is paying for that anointment; whether the dealer or the manufacturer. What a crock!

Attachments

• Colley Ford's Sticker.jpg
    Colley Ford's Sticker.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 107
  • MY Raptor's Sticker.jpg
    MY Raptor's Sticker.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 108

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. So why not just order all the Raptors with ca emissions? Makes it easier to sell. Im surprised its even an option

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. So why not just order all the Raptors with ca emissions? Makes it easier to sell. Im surprised its even an option

Some non green state dealers arent able to order California emissions trucks without zone reps help. Makes it hard for people in green states to go out of state and get better deals. But it is possible.

GizmoVance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taxation on CA Emissions?

Well, my "suspicion", is that it's costing the dealers. Why? Because when I discussed this with the local Sales Manager, he said "Please, PLEASE try to do something. It's costing all of us."

Read into that, for now, but I'll find out the true story later...after I actually get mine registered. (aka, don't make waves when you're in the pool.)

Rango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my "suspicion", is that it's costing the dealers. Why? Because when I discussed this with the local Sales Manager, he said "Please, PLEASE try to do something. It's costing all of us."

Read into that, for now, but I'll find out the true story later...after I actually get mine registered. (aka, don't make waves when you're in the pool.)

It's no cost option....so...Why don't they just put it on all the window stickers?"

California Emission used to have a performance impact, in some parts of the country they do NOT want that on the window sticker because of the negative connotation. ;-)

All Raptors have the same sticker...and the sticker is all Cali DMV cares about

GizmoVance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's no cost option....so...Why don't they just put it on all the window stickers?"

California Emission used to have a performance impact, in some parts of the country they do NOT want that on the window sticker because of the negative connotation. ;-)

All Raptors have the same sticker...and the sticker is all Cali DMV cares about

Like I mentioned, It's an N/C option to the BUYER. So, my thoughts are that it DOES cost the dealer. Otherwise, like you say, they'd do it on every vehicle. In fact, the FACTORY should just make it the NEW STANDARD!! But, I've been accused of making too much sense, so forget my logic...