California emissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vikingrl

Reaction score
I'm trying to buy a 2017 Raptor and I'm in California. I called Ford today and they said it must have the California emissions on it for me to register it here. There is nothing I can add to it to get it to pass smog to get it registered. Is this true? I'm trying to get one from out of state due to the price gouging going on in California.

darkneo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to buy a 2017 Raptor and I'm in California. I called Ford today and they said it must have the California emissions on it for me to register it here. There is nothing I can add to it to get it to pass smog to get it registered. Is this true? I'm trying to get one from out of state due to the price gouging going on in California.
They all should have the CA emissions sticker afaik.

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few threads on this already. Yes, you can bring it from out of state, you may need to get a smog check before you register it.

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Option 422 which is California emissions can not be added to the vin after the truck is built. From all my research its strictly a paper option. Some states like NY and Pa require it when registering at dmv. According to Ford Performance and everyone that currently owns a Raptor the emissions sticker under the hood is the same. I dont remember the forum members name but he was from your state and purchased a non green state truck and successfully registered it in California. The state that started all this ******** doesnt seem to care about its own option. Good luck with your purchase.

OP
OP
V

Vikingrl

Reaction score
Thank you! I went back and looked and a few have done it. I will have the dealer send me the sticker from under the hood just to confirm.

SOAKINRED

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CA Emissions

Thank you! I went back and looked and a few have done it. I will have the dealer send me the sticker from under the hood just to confirm.

All the 2017 Raptor's have the CA Emissions sticker under the hood no matter how it was ordered
, don't worry about the window stick or the Certificate of Origin.

CA DMV only requires that it has the CA Emissions sticker under hood.

You will need to weight your truck, smog it and pay the fee's at the CA DMV.

That's all there is to it, I bought mine out of state and registered here in CA, no big deal and will save you thousands!

If you need any help PM me.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?...ntent_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29

Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Can You Register it in California? (FFVR 29)

PDF Version

The Bottom Line
If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck, or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws to be registered in California. This includes certain diesel-powered vehicles. DMV cannot accept an application to register a vehicle in California that does not qualify for registration (California Health and Safety Code §§43150 - 43156).

What Is Considered a New Vehicle?
California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business, to be a new vehicle. This is true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.

Aren't All Vehicles California Certified?
Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold in California. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold only in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-state) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. California-certified (50-state) vehicles are made to be sold in California.

Check the Label
To find out whether a car, truck, or motorcycle is California certified, check the emission label under the hood. For a motorcycle, check the frame or refer to your owner' s manual for the location. The label should read that the vehicle conforms to California regulations, or that it is legal for sale in California.

Exemptions
There are a few exemptions to the law. As a California resident, you may be able to register a 49-state vehicle if it was:

Obtained as part of a divorce, inheritance, or legal separation settlement.
Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was stolen while you were using the vehicle out-of-state.
Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using the vehicle out of state.
An emergency vehicle, pursuant to California Vehicle Code § §27156.2 and 27156.3.
Registered by you in the state of your last active military service outside California.
A street motorcycle or motor-driven cycle year model 2005 and older, with an engine less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc) displacement. Beginning January 1, 2006, street motorcycles and motor-driven cycles year model 2006 and newer, with engines less than 50 cc displacement, require an emission label certifying them to meet U.S. Environmental Protection Agency emission regulations, and may be registered regardless of mileage.

emissions label.

Attachments

• emissions_cert.jpg
    emissions_cert.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I live in CA as well and will likely get mine out of state too... for those of you who did this already, what are the tax implications? I know we must pay CA sales tax when we register the car in CA but I'm wondering about sales tax in the state we buy the car in?

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can't F'ing stand California... I don't know how ANYONE could live in that state. This is only example 123095086 of why. Unless it's a Prius you'll be shunned.

Dont knock it till you try it. Its definatley a pay to play state but ive lived up and down the east coast, and a few in between and im never leaving Cali. I dont feel shunned tho, couple V8s sit in my garage. For the record I wouldnt even catch an Uber in a Prius