To Buy Or Not To Buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duracell24

Reaction score
Hey guys, long time lurker and first-time poster here. I greatly appreciate all the info and insight that gets passed on here.

Wanted to get everyone's opinion on a decision I've been sitting 50/50 on for a few weeks now. I can't make up my mind whether to pull the trigger on a 2016 King Ranch sitting on my dealers lot (fairly loaded) or order a 2017 Raptor. The King Ranch MSRP is $65,090 and he's willing to sell it to me for $57,090. He would be willing to do a 17 Raptor at MSRP (with my Military discount) which comes out to $65,745 outfitted the way I'd like. Difference then is $8405 (although I think i could get the King Ranch down another 1-2k with some harder negotiation).

The thing is, I know I dont NEED the Raptor. I take a week long elk hunting trip once a year that involves some steep off-road/rock climbing where it would absolutely come in handy. Could the King Ranch do the same trip? Most likely. Outside of that trip, I can really only think of a few other times per year that I'd be off-roading and I'm sure the King Ranch would do just fine with those too. I dont do any Baja like desert racing so I'm not terribly worried about that.

The only reason I started even looking at the Raptor a few weeks ago was when I saw the initial cost wasnt that much higher than the King Ranch. Then I started doing some financial analysis and figured out that if the 2017 Raptor holds value like the older 13/14 Raptors did, it will lose significantly less in depreciation than the King Ranch. Even factoring in decreased mpg (assumed 2 mpg less overall than KR) and increased insurance cost (got a quote), the Raptor would actually be almost $4k cheaper to own in 4-5 years given how much less it would depreciate.

My questions that I'd like folks opinion on....
1) Do you think my 2 mpg estimation is accurate? I know the 16s still have the 6 speed, most I've seen are getting 18mpg with that engine. I assumed 16mpg for the 17 Raptor
2) Do you think the Gen2's will hold value like the Gen 1's have? I know there is concern out there that the potential V8TT in 2018 will kill values.
3) Is anyone really concerned about V6TT reliability? If I swing for the Raptor, I'd plan on keeping it for at least 5 years/75k.

Like most dudes, I'd REALLY like to get the Raptor. However, I acknowledge that I wouldnt be using it to its full capability 98% of the time and it would just be my really sweet daily driver. That makes me lean King Ranch. But, if it would be CHEAPER over the 4-6 year period to have given my rough estimation of resale value (again, assuming that its still selling for $45k ish in 4 years like current Gen 1's are) then it would make more sense to get the Raptor, even if I dont use it like its supposed to be used.

Appreciate any responses for the first-time noob here. Thanks!

ReefBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A King Ranch as a DD is just as overkill as a Raptor. An XL is a daily driver.

There is only a concern of a V8TT by a small minority of people who need to hear a v8 engine to think something is fast.

Even if the Raptor doesn't hold value like the 13/14s, the King Ranch has already lost value and the salesman wants it out the door. What will happen to it when it has 30k miles on it?

Buy what you'll have fun with.

D

Deleted member 12951

I had a King Ranch before my Raptor as my DD. Don't need to answer your questions. Get the Raptor. And I thought at first I would just drive it on the street like all my previous trucks, your mindset just might change, mine did.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
I am in the same boat as you. Need a truck. My debate is buy a regular F150 now or wait on the Raptor. Like you I won't be using the Raptor to it's potential either. I had a 2011 Raptor and it was by far the best riding and driving truck I have owned. Should not have sold it. My choice right now it to wait for a 2018 Raptor. I want to see how the new Eco & 10 speed perform when they hit the streets in mass. Too much new going on for me to buy a first year vehicle. Inevitably there will be a few gremlins. Depending what those are and how Ford responds will make my final decision.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the mpg difference is enough to sway you, you should probably get the king ranch.

And even then I'd wait for the '17 king ranch.

Ltl6pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait on a Raptor, it in the past holds it value very well, and I think it will more than a couple of years before you see a V8TT in one. I might be wrong, just what I think. My build date is October 24th. Good luck in your choice!

brc misfit

FRF Addict
Reaction score
do you have a wife?
no,,, buy the raptor.
you do have a wife and she says you don't need a raptor.
do you need the wife.?.
buy the raptor.
you talk about potential,,, since when do we use anything to its full potential, your mind, body,,,?. a truck should be no different.
if something makes you happy, and feel great just looking at it,,, buy it.
the world is changing my friend, just tell yourself your prepping for the future demise of civilization.

Boricuaevo8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have a wife?
no,,, buy the raptor.
you do have a wife and she says you don't need a raptor.
do you need the wife.?.
buy the raptor.
you talk about potential,,, since when do we use anything to its full potential, your mind, body,,,?. a truck should be no different.
if something makes you happy, and feel great just looking at it,,, buy it.
the world is changing my friend, just tell yourself your prepping for the future demise of civilization.

I like the way you think!

Jeff Quinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor ain't just better off road, it also rides better and handles like no other pickup on the road.
If you are trying to justify the purchase as not losing money, but a ten-year-old half-ton Chevy.

I bought a 2014 Raptor in December of 2013. I didn't need it. I already had two pickups and a Suburban. I had to have a Raptor. Like you, the dealer tried to put me in a King Ranch. The KR is a wonderful pickup, but I am a man, and I ordered a Raptor instead.

If you want a Raptor, get a Raptor. **** on the money. It gets worth less every day.

By the way, last week, a dealer offered me more for my 2014 Raptor than I paid for it.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Raptor FTW. It's a great DD. And it sounds like the Gen2 will be even more street friendly than it's badass predecessor, the Gen1.

I've sat in the driver's seat for 16 hours + without feeling like I just drove 16 hours +. Never had owned a vehicle, much less a truck, that did that.

The Raptor is a great truck and drives great. PLUS, you can take it offroad, for hundreds of miles at a time, and jump right back onto the highway without a worry in the world.

Everyone has a King Ranch, or a Platinum. You don't see that many Raptors. Especially up in the mountains hunting. You'll be the king of the mountain!!!

Get the Raptor......