Broken bed bolt, HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mkarban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried removing bed bolts to mount my RPG tire rack. Stripped a bolt closest to cab despite using the correct Torx Plus bit. I can figure out a way to get this one out but my real dilemma is the middle bed bolt. I heard a snap and now bolt just spins, won.t back out. Figured the bolt snapped free from a weld or something. Bad part is when you look under the truck you can’t see shit. The nut is completely hidden within a cylinder under the bed. How the hell do I deal with this? I thought this would be an easy install.
Anyone have a diagram of how this middle bolt is designed, how to get it out?
It appears that all earlier F150s have some sort of clip but this appears different.
Any help would be great.
Thanks

MK

DocSpooK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried removing bed bolts to mount my RPG tire rack. Stripped a bolt closest to cab despite using the correct Torx Plus bit. I can figure out a way to get this one out but my real dilemma is the middle bed bolt. I heard a snap and now bolt just spins, won.t back out. Figured the bolt snapped free from a weld or something. Bad part is when you look under the truck you can’t see shit. The nut is completely hidden within a cylinder under the bed. How the hell do I deal with this? I thought this would be an easy install.

Anyone have a diagram of how this middle bolt is designed, how to get it out?

It appears that all earlier F150s have some sort of clip but this appears different.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

MK

I know when i stripped two of mine i had to weld a nut onto them and used a regular socket to get em off.
as far as having the threaded nut/clip break and spinning under the bed, you may be fkd.
If you can’t find the underside to pry/brace to hold threads still then maybe you can grind the head off and hammer it down into the frame. Then pull the bed (not that hard or heavy) to get at the nut to have it reset (may be hard)
Hope that helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Does it have the spray on bed liner or really corroded? Did you spray them with break free? I am nervous about pulling them now.
Good luck, might have to cut the bolt off...

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mkarban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bolts were removed before LineX. They just rusted pretty good. I only used some WD40 prior. Used a breaker bar and heard a snap.
I just feel that Ford wouldn’t have made it impossible to retrieve. I figure I’ll have to remove the bed. Since I don’t weld I can’t put a nut in the stripped bolt, I’m just going to grind off the heads.
I’m just wondering if the middle nut is welded like the front ones? Or is it a clip, I can’t see anything until I drop the spare tomorrow.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The bolts were removed before LineX. They just rusted pretty good. I only used some WD40 prior. Used a breaker bar and heard a snap.
I just feel that Ford wouldn’t have made it impossible to retrieve. I figure I’ll have to remove the bed. Since I don’t weld I can’t put a nut in the stripped bolt, I’m just going to grind off the heads.
I’m just wondering if the middle nut is welded like the front ones? Or is it a clip, I can’t see anything until I drop the spare tomorrow.

go get a big nut and take it to an exhaust shop and have them add it to the top of the stock bolt. easiest way out..

OP
OP
M

Mkarban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Done!
Took a full day but I’m good to go. As for the front bolt with the stripped Torx Plus, I slotted it with a grinder and was able to fit a chisel in enough to provide some torque. Heated the frame nut with a MAP torch and it busted free. That was the easy one.
As for the middle bed bolt. The clip was the culprit. Bolt started rotating in the clip housing. Had to grind the head off, then shim the bed up a bit to saw the bolt above the frame. Thought I’d be clear but clip still stuck due to remainder of bolt prodruding into frame. I somehow was able to get a saw into the small opening inside frame from under truck. Not the safest method. Finally broke free and clip came out. Now just need to order some new clips.
I cannot seem to find them anywhere online. I’ll stop by the dealer tomorrow. However, every time I need a small clip or retainer from the dealer, they tell me I have to buy an entire part. They’ll probably tell me I can only get the clip if I buy a new bed :)
Does anyone have an idea where to get these or at least find me a part number??????
I have new grade 8 bolts, just need the clips.

Attachments

• 73B16C1D-BA52-4EC1-9AE2-D34A1CDD63E6.jpg
    73B16C1D-BA52-4EC1-9AE2-D34A1CDD63E6.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 429D3E5C-4635-441E-8110-970D0DB2DF2B.jpg
    429D3E5C-4635-441E-8110-970D0DB2DF2B.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 110

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grats on getting it out! I had mine strip but that was because I was lazy and didnt remove the bed liner. Ended up welding a nut on top and now it's a garage trophy. I cant believe one of yours snapped!