Brake Pedals mushy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brakes work just fine they just are mushy feeling. I wonder why Ford performance decided that would be ok? Gen 1 brakes where super crisp until you overheated them after 2 minutes of hard breaking.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The brakes work just fine they just are mushy feeling. I wonder why Ford performance decided that would be ok? Gen 1 brakes where super crisp until you overheated them after 2 minutes of hard breaking.

Brake feeling is subjective. Ford probably decided "mushy" helps typical drivers more effectively modulate braking forces because it widens the distance the pedal travels between initial braking action and lockup. Crisp brakes are great for race cars that are always threshold braking, but grabiness gets annoying in vehicles that spend most of their life in traffic.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is subjective. I drove gt gt350 daily, brake feel was great in traffic too. The new Raptor brakes are too linear. But I don't really car enough to do anything about it, they are good enough.

OP
OP
V

vsayler

Reaction score
Well, Ford is now going to replace my Master Brake Cylinder and Booster under warranty. It will be nice to have a firm brake pedal when I start the car for the first time each day.

psufan

Reaction score
I don't really like the break feel either honestly. It's not enough to annoy me, but I came from a stingray and still have an Evo X. I'm used to a totally different break feel. The brakes seem to work just fine, but the feel is often poor.

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i test drove both 2017 raptor and 2018 f150 Eb I thought everything was great except the brakes. My initial response was Aw shit those are terrible.

Stainless lines/pads, possible bbk first order of business once it arrives

Shayne

Reaction score
Yep...if it makes you feel any better, my 2017 Raptor has what I would describe as "mushy" brakes too. The brakes on my 2014 Raptor were much stiffer....more responsive.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i took my raptor out on a fire road with lots of braking required this weekend. Brakes feel was actaully spot on. They defiantly are more linear but that actually made them more controllable. On the highway you just got to push hard for more bite initially

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep...if it makes you feel any better, my 2017 Raptor has what I would describe as "mushy" brakes too. The brakes on my 2014 Raptor were much stiffer....more responsive.

This ^^^ only mine was a 2011