Bed Box Extender same as Gen 1?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone happen to know if the bed box extender is the same one that was used in 2014? The '17 I am hoping to make a deal on tomorrow doesnt have it and that is one of the few things this truck is missing. My local dealer parts guy says its the same part number, but was wondering if anyone had actually done the swap over to confirm. Just eyeballing it seems like it would work. If so, I am taking mine off my '14 before I trade it in. Thanks for any info.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it off as they won't give you anything for it anyway. If it doesn't fit, sell it to another member here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TXCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking the same, probably will either way, just wondering if anyone knew for sure.

OP
OP
T

TXCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you that are wondering the same, it bolted right in. I did buy the 4 grommets / bushings that go in the holes to accept the pin that locks the bed extender either into the bed or out on the tailgate. They may not be necessary but it gave it the finished factory look for less than $5. Part number for those is 9L3Z-99286A54-A.

A couple of quick things to note.

1. It didn't fit quite as flush up against the sidewall of the bed as I remember it on my 2014 but my dealer parts guy swears it's the same part number for 2014 as it is for 2017.
2. If you got a spray in bedliner you will need to clean out some of the material where the T-50 torx bolt goes in. A little oil on the bolt did the trick after I scraped it out with a flathead
3. It does block the bed lights a little more than I'd hoped.

I've used that bed box extender so many times. More inside the bed to keep things from sliding to the back since I had a trifold bed cover but plenty of times on the tailgate too. So I'd miss it if I had let it go with my trade in. Anyway, hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: