Battery strength indicator 2018 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRAGONFLY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not seeing one on the display panel, and nothing in the handbook other than a battery warning symbol. Why would Ford leave this out.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think I've found a battery gauge useful on any vehicle I've ever driven that has one. Even a bad car battery will still show ~12 volts, until a large load is applied to it when it plummets. By that time you'll know your battery needs replacing even without the gauge.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
VOLT METER.
Here's why:

1. When you turn the key to the first detent - the accessories detent - the volt meter will give you a battery-only reading.
2. When you turn the key to the Start position, the volt meter will show you how your batter responds to a load. When you learn how a healthy battery responds to a load, this reading will alert you to a battery problem before it dies and strands you.
3. After the vehicle has started and is running, the volt meter will show you how much voltage your alternator is putting out. Once you learn what the healthy alternator produces any changes to that reading will give you an early heads up that your alternator is going south.

Super neato bonus: Volt meters are ridiculously easy to wire up.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
what @Ruger said.

I’ve got a 300w sub with my stereo, which I use while washing the truck. I am not some car/truck washing savant, so it takes me the better part of 2, maybe 2.5 hours so i have to cycle the radio on 2x at least until I’m done.

The next time I drive, auto stop/start won’t work for the next few miles as the battery charges. So there’s not a voltage gauge, but the computer knows it. I guess Ford thought it was TMI.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Ruger nailed the voltmeter, much better than his King Crab dissertation... lol

I have noticed, if your trip computer resets during a start on most of today's vehicles, your battery is serious toast, like that was probably one of your last starts.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Ruger nailed the voltmeter, much better than his King Crab dissertation... lol

I have noticed, if your trip computer resets during a start on most of today's vehicles, your battery is serious toast, like that was probably one of your last starts.

I didn't know that! Way cool, thank you sir!

I should add one more benefit to installing a volt meter. Let's say you've got a healthy battery, but the drain on the battery while cranking is higher than normal or increasing over time. What does that tell you? A bad starter is drawing too heavily, and the vehicle will eventually strand you because the starter is drawing down the battery and/or the starter eventually draws more than then battery can supply.

Bottom line: A volt meter is a massively useful tool, especially if you use it and understand what it's telling you.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup, AutoMeter is definitely a good brand.

As to where to mount it, I welded up a mount for the A-pillar on my old Nissan 4x4. There are steering column brackets available. It has also occurred to me that the inset on the top surface of the dash (I'm thinking GEN1 here) could support several gauges with enough ingenuity and maybe some Velcro or 3M mounting tape.

Another option is the UltraGauge. It plugs into the UBDII port and can display every reading your vehicle's sensors measure. Of course, voltage is one of the options, and I have mine set up so that voltage is displayed on the No 1 screen. Here is the web site:

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

One caution about using the UBDII port on a GEN1: The UBDII port is powered at ALL times. On my 2013, the UltraGauge will pull a minute amount of power if left plugged in. It's minute, but it's enough that if the UltraGauge is plugged in while you're using a trickle charger on the battery, you'll never get a full-charge indication from the charger.

Here is a thread on it: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/scangauge-39910/

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup, AutoMeter is definitely a good brand.

As to where to mount it, I welded up a mount for the A-pillar on my old Nissan 4x4. There are steering column brackets available. It has also occurred to me that the inset on the top surface of the dash (I'm thinking GEN1 here) could support several gauges with enough ingenuity and maybe some Velcro or 3M mounting tape.

Another option is the UltraGauge. It plugs into the UBDII port and can display every reading your vehicle's sensors measure. Of course, voltage is one of the options, and I have mine set up so that voltage is displayed on the No 1 screen. Here is the web site:

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

One caution about using the UBDII port on a GEN1: The UBDII port is powered at ALL times. On my 2013, the UltraGauge will pull a minute amount of power if left plugged in. It's minute, but it's enough that if the UltraGauge is plugged in while you're using a trickle charger on the battery, you'll never get a full-charge indication from the charger.

Here is a thread on it: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/scangauge-39910/

Well @Ruger, based on your thread, I am digging the analog option I posted...not really, I like the bluetooth scangauge, I have an old iPhone 6 I could use...as I sat in my Gen2, I really didnt see anywhere to mount it I liked.

I am pretty sure all OBDs are 'live' as every car I have plugged a scanner in and it tells you to turn the ignition on if you want to use it. At least for a set time. The Porsche I had would be live for 2 weeks, then it would literally shut down all electric and you would need a key to unlock it, throw the key in the ignition and she would wake everything up and start. Read that in the manual. LOL

Are you still using it? As I read through the thread, I couldn't help but wonder if you just had a defective one or your 2011 just really didn't like it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts