Bakflip VP Tonneau

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miker397

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my first truck so I want to make sure I'm choosing the right tonneau cover. I don't plan to put anything on top of the cover so priority is appearance, waterproof, longevity. I have little concern for security as I don't plan to have anything valuable in the back, so I guess I haven't ruled out soft covers...

I like the looks of the Bakflip VP the best (no visable folds), and it seems to be very waterproof. At $683 shipped (on Amazon or $693 direct) for Cybermonday deal it looks like a nice bargain vs the $1k hard cover Ford sells (made by Bakflip I think). The soft covers are still quite a bit cheaper, so I'm still not sure I really need a hard cover. One thing I find a little annoying is the cover flopping up and down at highway speeds, so maybe this is reason enough to do hard cover?

Should I pull the trigger on the VP or look for something different?

Padholdr

Reaction score
I really like the looks and function of the VP. I own an aluminum bakflip on my screw that I purchased around 3 years ago. This is my experience of my tonneau, so you might want to ask some questions prior to purchasing the VP to see if they have made improvements since mine was built.

PROS:
- love the way you can flip the tonneau back and still retain most of your bed
- the top of the tonneau is very solid and hasn't sagged, dented, faded at all over the years
- the bed stays almost completely dry even in bad rain storms

CONS:
- the flat bolts on the top of the tonneau rust. Mine started rusting after only a couple months
- the drain tubes never stay on and I find them sitting in my bed all the time
- the two arms that hold the tonneau against the cab of the truck always come off the hooks when not getting used (the hooks are a joke, just a couple pieces of thin plastic)
- the arms always unscrew from the pivot ends and I find the arms rolling around in the bed
- the design of the lock mechanism for each section works great however to unlock it you have to pull a wire and sometimes it's difficult to undue both of the locks while pulling up in the tonneau. The VP is lightweight so that should help a ton.
- I've had to tighten the tonneau several times as it will get loose and leave a big gap where the tailgate meets.

All in all I'm happy for the most part, I just hope they made some improvements over the past couple years.

R

Rick@FreedomMotorsports

If you want to give an FRF vendor a shot, I will beat that price from Amazon for the BakFlip VP Part #162329. PM if you decide.

TornadoRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like the Velcro roll up. By the sounds of your usage,it may be the best fit, easy to roll out of way and full bed access without causing any blind spots, nothing lighter. Hold up very well with little maintenance.

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just purchased a BakFlip MX4 from Rick@FreedomMotorsports here on the forums. He easily beat the best Black Friday prices I could find on the web (Amazon, Google, all of the many Tonneau Cover websites, etc.). Fast and easy PayPal transaction. A pleasure to do business with. Give him a yell when you're ready to buy.

Same here, except I went with the BakFllip F1

StrikerHawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just purchased a BakFlip MX4 from Rick@FreedomMotorsports here on the forums. He easily beat the best Black Friday prices I could find on the web (Amazon, Google, all of the many Tonneau Cover websites, etc.). Fast and easy PayPal transaction. A pleasure to do business with. Give him a yell when you're ready to buy.
Just wanted to follow up on this post. I ordered my BakFlip MX4 from Rick@FreedomMotorsports on Tuesday, Nov. 29 and it arrived about 5 days later in perfect condition. Now, if only Ford could match Rick's delivery prowess and get my truck here in the next 5 days...

Thanks again Rick for a great deal and impressive delivery schedule.