Aux switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 1 FM station that gets static from the fogs...the rest work fine.

I spoke with a local car stereo installation shop and they said the interference with the fog lights and radio reception is normal. Apparently there is nothing that can be done about it. Reportedly it is a frequency issue with the bulb, so switching bulbs may help??

gijosh28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke with a local car stereo installation shop and they said the interference with the fog lights and radio reception is normal. Apparently there is nothing that can be done about it. Reportedly it is a frequency issue with the bulb, so switching bulbs may help??

If this is true, you could build a faraday cage around the ballast of the bulb and it would probably fix the problem. I don't have the problem, so I can't test it out. If someone near the Augusta area is having the problem, I can try to fix it for you.

Josh

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this is true, you could build a faraday cage around the ballast of the bulb and it would probably fix the problem. I don't have the problem, so I can't test it out. If someone near the Augusta area is having the problem, I can try to fix it for you.

Josh

I had no clue what you were talking about until I looked it up, but you may be on to something :). Here is the first of what hopefully won't become a series of stupid questions ....... My fog lights are small, but they have a cap that can be unskrewed. Will aluminum foil work as a faraday cage to help block the interferring signals being put out by the lights? ALuminum foil is thin and easy to work with, so I was hoping that would work. If not, any thoughts on another material that is easy to find and manipulate?

gijosh28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No tin foil will not work. You would probably need to find someone that has done the wavelength research for the FM band (if FM is where you're having the problem). I would think chicken wire would probably do it. Now if you start reading on faraday theory, you will find ton of argument about whether to ground the cage or not. I would surround the ballasts in chicken wire (careful not to make contact otherwise it negates it) and see how it works. Then try applying a ground to the cage and see how it affects it.

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Or find a craigslist microwave and take the liner out of the door of the microwave and use that.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Here is a video example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfC88nzqDWc

Although this is kind of the reverse right? He is blocking the fm waves from making it to the radio. but it would work the same to keeps the interference contained to around the light ballast.

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Maybe I am wrong though. This guy did it with tin foil versus chicken wire and he found the tin foil worked well close to the FM band (100Mhz).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M6h1U9jgWs

I would caution you about overheating with the foil.

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

Looking into this for you, I found some real nutjobs btw.. Faraday's Law is real. Be careful about some of the insanity that is out there talking about it though.