Aux switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brah

Reaction score
Is anybody else bothered by the fact that the overhead switches are wired opposite to how toggle switches typically function? In other words, you flip a switch up to turn it on and down to turn it off. In the raptor you push the switch forward to turn it on which, to me, is like flipping the switch down to turn it on.

Also, I've heard many mention that the overhead switches are reminiscent of the ones in fighter jets...yet fighter jets have a bubble canopy.

Anyways, anybody know of a way to rewire the overhead aux switches so that pulling it back/flipping it up is on and pushing it forward/flipping it down is off?

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda depends on your logic. To me, they are the same as the gen 1's were in that you push the toggle forward to turn them on. Maybe that kind of perspective will help ease your OCD. It did mine lol

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Why not just get used to them? I've literally never even given thought to how toggle switches were mounted and which way was on/off even in my airplanes. Now you have me thinking about it and basically "ON" is whichever way the switch clicks to the function you want.

This is a lot of work for very little gain. Those switches are in a module with a little circuit board IIRC.

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is anybody else bothered by the fact that the overhead switches are wired opposite to how toggle switches typically function? In other words, you flip a switch up to turn it on and down to turn it off. In the raptor you push the switch forward to turn it on which, to me, is like flipping the switch down to turn it on.

Also, I've heard many mention that the overhead switches are reminiscent of the ones in fighter jets...yet fighter jets have a bubble canopy.

Anyways, anybody know of a way to rewire the overhead aux switches so that pulling it back/flipping it up is on and pushing it forward/flipping it down is off?

Maybe you should ride around with the sunroof cover always open, then you have a bubble canopy. Problem solved, I guess. I have no idea what a bubble canopy has to do with switch movement.:biggrin::ROFLJest:
And yes, I fly airplanes for a living!

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Maybe you should ride around with the sunroof cover always open, then you have a bubble canopy. Problem solved, I guess. I have no idea what a bubble canopy has to do with switch movement.:biggrin::ROFLJest:

I have my truck so that when I start it and the Raptor logo comes up, this plays:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCTJmXrgsFg

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think he was saying that if a fighter jet has a bubble canopy then it can't have switches on the roof. I on the other hand don't really worry about all that and I do ride around with the sunroof shade open saying things like "he's too close I'm switching to guns" while flipping various switches.

TornadoRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I do barrel rolls in my Raptor and I'm upside down the switches work the way you prefer.
Welcome to frf and Raptor life.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
When I do barrel rolls in my Raptor and I'm upside down the switches work the way you prefer.
Welcome to frf and Raptor life.

do-a-barrel-roll.gif

@SlimChaChi

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brah

Reaction score
It's just seems counter intuitive to me. It requires rewiring my brain...can it be done? Yes, but that's like switching the gas pedal and brake pedal. Why the hell would you do that?

Check this image out, this is not a fighter jet.

IMG_1562.jpg

Note how the two-position toggle switches are labeled as up is on and down is off. You pull up for on and push down for off. The Raptor is push for on and pull for off.

When I'm being chased by a SAM and have to perform evasive maneuvers and set off some flairs, as I'm reaching for the overhead fighter-jet-like switches, I don't want to have to think "oh yeah the switches are backwards in a Raptor." This can not only cost me my life but most importantly the life of my Raptor.

Last edited: