auto stop/start inconsistent engagement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I know a lot of you don’t like this <cough> feature, but I’ve been letting it default to on, there’s a lot of traffic around me, so not burning gas at stop lights is fine by me. A couple times I’ve noticed I would come to a stop, in eco (normal) mode, 4a, and as soon as I’m fully stopped, the dash indicates the start stop icon with a slash through it,

The F150 manual on page 173 lists a bunch of requirements ( I admit it, I’ve read at least some of the manuals and admit I just ran across this stuff )

• You do not press the Auto-Start-Stop button (not illuminated).
• Your vehicle exceeds an initial speed of 3 mph (5 km/h) after you have initially started your vehicle.
• You have stopped your vehicle.
• Your foot is on the brake pedal.
• The transmission is in drive (D) or Sport mode (enable by pressing the Auto-Start-Stop button).
• The driver door is closed.
• There is adequate brake vacuum.
• The interior compartment has cooled or warmed to an acceptable level.
The front windshield defroster is off.
• You have not turned the steering wheel rapidly or you do not have it at a sharp angle.
• The vehicle is not on a steep road grade.

• The battery is within optimal operating conditions (battery state of charge and temperature in range).
• The engine coolant is at operating temperature.
• Elevation is below about 11,000 ft (3,350 m).

• Ambient temperature is moderate.
• You have selected 4X2 or Auto mode.
• If equipped with Terrain mode, and you select auto snow/ice mode only.
• The trailer is not connected.
• You have not selected Tow haul.
• You have not selected Manual mode.

It would be great to know what’s suppressing the auto stop. I do run the windshield vent (defrost) but not with AC, and it does eventually activate, so I’m thinking that’s not it.

My thinking is maybe cabin temp, it’s not been extremely cold. As has been pointed out elsewhere, we don’t have a voltage / amperage gauge, and I’m assuming brake vacuum is sufficient.

stephenlocke

Reaction score
Information on auto stop / start is available in the center display.
Bottom of the fuel economy menu, shows why stop /start has not engaged