Auto start/stop turned itself off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KTMRC8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after having that issue with android auto, and resolving them, the end result was now the truck keeps auto start stop off...Wierd

miles%20travelled_zpsz0fjcunp.jpg
IMG_20170301_053211_zpssahzy1mu.jpg

TornadoRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's a good thing
The Truck knows exactly what it's doing to keep all systems operable and provides battery run down protection

Last edited:

mac_attack

Reaction score
What does it tell you on the Auto Start/Stop info page of the gauge cluster? I have had it come up a couple times as "Unavailable" but haven't figured out what makes that happen. When auto start/stop is "unavailable" that symbol did not show.

Any time I have seen the symbol you posted there was a message like "Engine on due to heating/cooling" "Engine on due to maneuver" or "engine on due to charging system" or something like that. There is one more vague description like "engine on until next stop" which I think comes up when it auto stops then I let off the brake and barely move and stop again.

OP
OP
K

KTMRC8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does it tell you on the Auto Start/Stop info page of the gauge cluster? I have had it come up a couple times as "Unavailable" but haven't figured out what makes that happen. When auto start/stop is "unavailable" that symbol did not show.

Any time I have seen the symbol you posted there was a message like "Engine on due to heating/cooling" "Engine on due to maneuver" or "engine on due to charging system" or something like that. There is one more vague description like "engine on until next stop" which I think comes up when it auto stops then I let off the brake and barely move and stop again.

Engine on due to heating cooling... Interesting. I had the defrost on...Maybe that was it!

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I see the same behavior with auto start/stop. I think it looks at engine temp, last few stop times, battery level, etc and disables if it thinks it won't stop long enough to save fuel. Some driving modes disables it too.

mac_attack

Reaction score
Engine on due to heating cooling... Interesting. I had the defrost on...Maybe that was it!

I bet that was it. I read someone else say they had similar behavior by leaving the defrost on. Honestly, I haven't used defrost in the last two months so I couldn't say. :)

OP
OP
K

KTMRC8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet that was it. I read someone else say they had similar behavior by leaving the defrost on. Honestly, I haven't used defrost in the last two months so I couldn't say. :)

That was definitely it. I turned it off and the truck immediately stopped

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
RC,

there’s a whole raft of reasons described in the F150 owner’s manual. You’ve read that, right? :ROFLJest: all 533 pages of it !

same thing happened to me. auto stop won’t engage in extreme ambient temps, or if the cabin temp is unstable, defrost, charge, etc.

I washed my truck while blaring some tunes recently, and auto stop wouldn’t engage due to charge for the first few lights. I think there’s some chatter in the interior forum about it.

OP
OP
K

KTMRC8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RC,

there’s a whole raft of reasons described in the F150 owner’s manual. You’ve read that, right? :ROFLJest: all 533 pages of it !

same thing happened to me. auto stop won’t engage in extreme ambient temps, or if the cabin temp is unstable, defrost, charge, etc.

I washed my truck while blaring some tunes recently, and auto stop wouldn’t engage due to charge for the first few lights. I think there’s some chatter in the interior forum about it.

Haha, haven't gotten around to it yet, lol, but sounds like auto start is disabled by a variety of things, haha

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Automatic Engine Restart
Any of the following conditions will result in an automatic restart of the engine:
• You have removed your foot from the brake pedal.
• You press the accelerator pedal.
• You press the accelerator and the brake pedal at the same time.
• The driver safety belt becomes unfastened or the driver door is ajar.
• You have moved the transmission from drive (D) to any gear except park (P).
• Your vehicle is moving.
• The interior compartment does not meet customer comfort when air conditioning or heat is on.
• Fogging of the windows could occur and the air conditioning is on.
• The battery is not within optimal operating conditions.
• You have exceeded the maximum engine off time.
• When you press the Auto-Start-Stop button with the engine automatically stopped.
• The front defroster is turned to the Max setting.

• You have increased the blower fan speed or changed the climate control temperature.
• You have an electrical accessory turned on or plugged in.
Note: You may notice that the climate seat fan fluctuates during an automatic restart.