GEN 2 Auto Start/Stop Not Working??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Homer Jay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Wondering if I am experiencing a problem everyone would love to have...

My auto start/stop system doesn't seem to be working. The car has only a few times shutoff when I have come to a stop light. I know all the reasons where the system won't engage. It has been 95 degrees here the last couple of days. However I thought if it couldn't work because of one of those conditions the dash was supposed to show the gray auto start/stop icon which mine does not. My auto start/stop logo also doesn't come on for just a few seconds when the car is started.

I have the 802A package. No mods and only 200 miles.

Anyone else experience this or know what I did? Lol

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

Homer Jay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What " mode " are you driving in? Does it do it in " normal " ?

Sorry, I should have said this is in "normal" mode. It also acts the same after multiple key cycles and thought it was supposed to reset each time.

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Wondering if I am experiencing a problem everyone would love to have...

My auto start/stop system doesn't seem to be working. The car has only a few times shutoff when I have come to a stop light. I know all the reasons where the system won't engage. It has been 95 degrees here the last couple of days. However I thought if it couldn't work because of one of those conditions the dash was supposed to show the gray auto start/stop icon which mine does not. My auto start/stop logo also doesn't come on for just a few seconds when the car is started.

I have the 802A package. No mods and only 200 miles.

Anyone else experience this or know what I did? Lol

Thanks!

The menu system has a place that will show you the current state of the auto stop/start system and why it's disabled if it is. It's maybe the second tab all the way at the bottom. Should give you the info you're looking for.

OP
OP
H

Homer Jay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The menu system has a place that will show you the current state of the auto stop/start system and why it's disabled if it is. It's maybe the second tab all the way at the bottom. Should give you the info you're looking for.

Thanks.

I went and looked and it said "Not Available". Oddly enough I lowered the adjustable pedals all the way to the floor and restarted the vehicle and the message changed to "Normal Operation". Readjusted the pedals, restarted the vehicle, and it is still working.

I'm happy and not happy at the same time, lol. I wanted to know why it wasn't working but I also may have lost being a lucky person who had permanently shutoff auto start/stop, lol.

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this too, not entirely sure what triggered it since it was working normally the day before and it started working again by the afternoon. It's possible the battery was not fully charged, and needed some charge time before it could enable auto start/stop.

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this too, not entirely sure what triggered it since it was working normally the day before and it started working again by the afternoon. It's possible the battery was not fully charged, and needed some charge time before it could enable auto start/stop.

It should say "disabled due to battery charging" or something like that if that were the case. Sounds like both of you were in some kind of unknown state so the car just defaulted to having it disabled. Who even knows with these complicated systems.

OP
OP
H

Homer Jay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should say "disabled due to battery charging" or something like that if that were the case. Sounds like both of you were in some kind of unknown state so the car just defaulted to having it disabled. Who even knows with these complicated systems.

I couldn't agree more. Too complicated for their own good. I'm just glad it is corrected without a trip to the dealer. I hate going there if I can avoid it. Thanks for the help.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Homer,
There have been several reports of this previously, and the F150 owner’s manual has a page of reasons why the system won’t engage and conditions under which it will restart the truck. I have had this happen several times.

Yesterday was the first time I saw “Unavailable” under the display, usually it gives me the “A” with a slash through it and it’s understandable. Yesterday mine was rolling along, chilly but not cold out - high 50’s, raining, and I came to a stop then shortly I realized the truck was still running. it lasted a few intersections. I was not running any heavy electrical demand, the truck was warmed up, but importantly it sorted out shortly after. Like you, I checked the dash display and got ‘unavailable’.

I’ve seen it not function due to battery charge before after listening to tunes while washing the truck the night before. It’s possible ambient conditions cause the truck to not engage the start stop.

Don’t get your hopes up, auto-start/stop will be back.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you expect Ford to create a custom message for every one of these scenarios? Waste of bits.

The system automatically enables every
time you start your vehicle if:
• You do not press the Auto StartStop
button (not illuminated).
• Your vehicle exceeds an initial speed
of 3 mph (5 km/h) after you have
initially started your vehicle.
• You have stopped your vehicle.
• Your foot is on the brake pedal.
• The transmission is in drive (D) or Sport
mode (enable by pressing the Auto
StartStop button).
• The driver door is closed.
• There is adequate brake vacuum.
• The interior compartment has cooled
or warmed to an acceptable level.
• The front windshield defroster is off.
• You have not turned the steering wheel
rapidly or you do not have it at a sharp
angle.
• The vehicle is not on a steep road
grade.
• The battery is within optimal operating
conditions (battery state of charge and
temperature in range).
• The engine coolant is at operating
temperature.
• Elevation is below about 10000 feet
(3048 meters).