Auto Start/Stop fail!!! Anyone experience this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timex

Reaction score
I traded in the '13 Gen1 for the latest and greatest Gen2. I'm having trouble with the truck restarting itself at stop lights. When I let off the brakes, the truck try's to start, but sounds as if the battery doesn't have enough juice. I'll have to shift into park, and then attempt to restart by pushing the start button. This hasn't always worked- on 3 different occasions, after several attempts to get the truck started, I get the wrench in the message center, along with "charging system service now", and have had to have it towed to the dealer. However, on two of those occasions, by the time the flatbread arrived, and after the truck sitting for 40+minutes, it starts. The 1st time the dealer told me it had some codes but didn't know exactly what they meant and would contact Ford for info. The 2nd time they told me there was a computer update. The 3rd time it was a loose wire at the starter.....
I can get the truck to duplicate the problem (have sat in my dealers service isle until it replicates so that service tech could see first hand) by starting the truck, turning on all the lights (interior and exterior), radio etc, then turning off the truck and letting it sit until it times everything out. Only in my case the only thing that times out is the radio- everything else stays on until the battery dies is my guess; I've always thought that EVERYTHING pulling power would eventually shut down when the motors off to preserve the battery....
Also, not sure if this is related or normal- when I hooked up my trailer for the first time I got "hill start assist not available", "service advance trac", "collision warning not available", "hill descent control fault", "cross traffic alert deactivated", and "terrain management system fault".
My dealer is telling me they will have to get with Ford on the issues. Have any of you guys experienced anything like this?

Mark986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Keep us posted. Any mods that could be drawing continuous power when it shouldn't?

OP
OP
T

Timex

Reaction score
No mods whatsoever as the 1st stall happened on the 1st full day of ownership; I thought it was user-error. Until I'm convinced there isn't an electrical issue, I don't want to add any acceressories that could be used as a reason for the issues.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine has never done this and I use auto start all the time.

The only thing I have experienced is "hill descent" fault after starting the truck. But it always clears and the truck performs normally after spewing out that fault. I've never been in hill descent mode, so I don't know what is causing that failure to randomly appear. (has happened 3x) but I am ignoring as a software issue until it causes a real issue.

Last edited:

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird.. I've never encountered any of those issues. Sounds like you definitely have a bug somewhere. Hopefully they get it sorted out soon for ya.

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask the dealer to test the AGM battery. They should not use a basic battery tester, AGM batteries have lower internal resistance than lead acids so they need to have a battery tester than is designed for this purpose.

Since you can duplicate the problem on demand, just have them swap out the battery and see if the problem continues.

r3run33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine has not done this but I have noticed that when it was cold here (30 deg) it turned a bit more the usual not this is not start stop related just adding 2cents I really don't like the start stop

OP
OP
T

Timex

Reaction score
Ask the dealer to test the AGM battery. They should not use a basic battery tester, AGM batteries have lower internal resistance than lead acids so they need to have a battery tester than is designed for this purpose.

Since you can duplicate the problem on demand, just have them swap out the battery and see if the problem continues.

AGM battery....? Is that different than the obvious battery under the hood? They did swap out the battery with a Gen2 that is on the lot (customer ordered, then backed out), and had the same results.

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not me, Mine has been awesome. I love the start/stop...every time Im at a light I realize how much gas I save. It makes a big difference in city driving.

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AGM battery....? Is that different than the obvious battery under the hood? They did swap out the battery with a Gen2 that is on the lot (customer ordered, then backed out), and had the same results.

AGM is a type of battery. Same battery. If they tried this already, then I guess it's not the battery. :)