Auto start/stop and A/C

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FatBuoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I was curious how the a/c would work when the auto stop shuts the car down. Obviously the compressor is no longer turning. It's getting hot here in TX, and while sitting at a light, the car kicked back on after sitting for a bit. Does the vehicle measure a/c temps or line pressure to let it know when to restart? Does it shut back down once the system cools again so that it would cycle on and off if sitting for a long period of time? Still trying to get used to this feature, and typically just turn it off each time or switch to sport, but I can only see the cycling becoming more frequent as the temp climbs.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I haven’t had hot enough temps often enough to confirm, but from what I observed the truck wouldn’t let the cabin get too hot before starting back up. Now, if it’s 100+ ambient, I’m probably going to switch off the auto stop/start

I actually like it for driving near a bunch of traffic lights in regular temps, and I have recently been using sport with auto stop/start engaged. MPG has been a little better than i was getting in normal mode.

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Auto Start Stop in summer is horrible. It shuts off and the air starts getting warmer and then will turn the engine back on... it's definitely noticeable and obnoxious.

naamanf

Reaction score
Auto Start Stop in summer is horrible. It shuts off and the air starts getting warmer and then will turn the engine back on... it's definitely noticeable and obnoxious.

I agree that it sucks, especially here in TX.

Never noticed the same issue with my poorly engineer BMW. Weird.

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worst feature on the truck. I have to push that stupid button every time I get in it.

it was the only feature i didn't like. disabled through forscan. still use the button when the grey light pops up.

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it was the only feature i didn't like. disabled through forscan. still use the button when the grey light pops up.

Why do you use the button? You don't like the little icon on the dash when you stop?

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you use the button? You don't like the little icon on the dash when you stop?

that and it says "disabled due to vehicle charging" not 100% sure it is not trying to charge a battery. i think the forscan change actually disables it through changing a requirement to always on. better to press the button then to risk an always active alternator. no time or expertise to test the alternator to see if it is actually charging at the same time as the message. and my kids comfort inside of the truck is way more important then the auto start/stop. the light is just a reminder to press the button now lol

Raptor81

Reaction score
The auto stop is fine, no big deal, solid logic behind its function, but the fact that you cannot permanently disable it is absurd.

I feel the same way about the auto high beam function except that silly engineering gem can actually be disabled.

I also feel the same way about the lane keeping technology. It freaked me the F@ck out when a computer took the wheel from me, but I disabled that too.

I hope there is a patch for actually being able to permanently disengage auto stop or it's sport mode or hitting the button every time. Rant complete!

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that and it says "disabled due to vehicle charging" not 100% sure it is not trying to charge a battery. i think the forscan change actually disables it through changing a requirement to always on. better to press the button then to risk an always active alternator. no time or expertise to test the alternator to see if it is actually charging at the same time as the message. and my kids comfort inside of the truck is way more important then the auto start/stop. the light is just a reminder to press the button now lol

The alternator is controlled by a voltage regulator, just like every other vehicle on the road. Forscan does not over ride this. There is no risk in disabling Auto start/stop in Forscan.