Attach mounts with poprivets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsrick80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was planning tonight to attach my Fuel Pax and cooler with pop rivets. I would be using aluminum 3/16 by 1/2 inch rivets.

The pop rivets would only secure items in place, not necessarily hold the weight because the items will still be on the floor of the bed.

I really wish Ford had a decent system of secure tie downs. They rely blew it With their lack of anchor points.

Does anyone see a problem with pop riveting the bed?

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
I would re-think which rivets you use. The shear and tensile on a 3/16 aluminum rivet is pretty low. If you really want rivets use a structural type rivet such as an Ultra-Grip or Monobolt.

OP
OP
J

jsrick80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear what your saying. I'm not too worried about that because it's not actually going to be supporting weight, just location. I'm more worried about the rivets damaging the bed, either by ripping, or corrosion over time.

bailer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snowmobile season, I don’t think you can torture those mounts the way a sled is pounded on a whooped out trail.
I say the rivets will hold up just fine!!

OP
OP
J

jsrick80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I wouldn't have needed to worry about this if Ford put in additional anchor points low in the bed. If I have any negative issues with them I'll let you know.

OP
OP
J

jsrick80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Done, so far I'm stoked. It's boxed in, and I can fully open the lid without it touching the tailgate or extender.

Attachments

• IMG_6560.jpg
    IMG_6560.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6558.jpg
    IMG_6558.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6556.jpg
    IMG_6556.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 36