Anyone With Off Road Yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coder

Reaction score
Anyone Go Off Road Yet?

Has anyone spent some quality off road time in their Gen 2 Raptor yet, if so, how would you compare it to the Gen 1?

Last edited:

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Pic18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have hit some fire roads/truck trails the past two weekends. Nothing to crazy but the suspension performed very well over rutted roads at a moderate pace ( between 40 and 50). Tried a few of the different modes, but to be honest I am not a huge fan of how the truck holds gears even when you are not really pushing it in some modes (in Baja for example) so I mostly ran in normal or weather. 4 auto worked great on the packed snow and ice, but I preferred 4 hi for the slightly deeper snow.

Last edited:

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Down in S. Arizona we have washes (dried up riverbeds with deep soft sand). I've taken mine out several times for runs between 1-5 miles in the wash. There were some rocky and muddy spots. Got intentionally stuck a couple times in the mud and easily got out in 4L with the locker on.

In the sand going 40-60mph the truck gets great traction. It almost surfs the sand back and forth. That's in Sport mode and 4H. So far that's my favorite combo. I've used Baja mode. It keeps the revs high and the power is immediate. I think I would like this mode on more hard packed dirt. In the sand the instant torque equals loss in traction unless you have the dexterity for fine adjustments on the gas pedal while going fast in the deep sand. Braking in these conditions exceeds expectations. Super impressed because fire roads crossing the wash are not easy to see until you are almost crossing it.

I really like the steering modes as well Sport Steering really tightens it up and gives you more control.

Additionally, this truck is my daily driver. I'll probably use this truck for what it's made for on the moderate side of things. At this point I don't see any need for power performance mods. It's got plenty of power.

This truck is an absolute blast. I've taken a few friends for rides and they are half terrified and half thrilled. Massive smile on my face when hitting some dirt.

Edit: Truck is stock. This is my first Raptor and I came from a Tacoma.

The one downside is post-ride maintenance. Since I ride in the sand, cleaning takes a while with a pressure washer because of all the hidden areas for sand to be stuck in.

Last edited:

zfgracing

Reaction score
I have hit some fire roads/truck trails the past two weekends. Nothing to crazy but the suspension performed very well over rutted roads at a moderate pace ( between 40 and 50). Tried a few of the different modes, but to be honest I am not a huge fan of how the truck holds gears even when you are not really pushing it in some modes (in Baja for example) so I mostly ran in normal or weather. 4 auto worked great on the packed snow and ice, but I preferred 4 hi for the slightly deeper snow.
That can easily be corrected to your style with a with a tune.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that very cool, I'm more interested in a real word, stock truck, by an average person type comparison...
That gen2 doesn't have any extreme mods right now so it should still give you a good indication of performance. Having witnessed the gen2's at RaptorX I was really impressed. Still keeping my gen1 but really like the gen2 and am glad to see Ford was trying to improve on the previous model. If they decide to drop in a V8 my bank account will be in serious trouble!!