Anyone had to have their trans rebuilt or replaced?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rapterzz

Reaction score
Just got news after my third trip to the dealer about my transmission issues (shifting 3-4-5 up and down shifting). I was told my transmission is having to come out and either be rebuilt or replaced. Any one else have this done and how long of a process is this was ford good to work with?

JD06

Reaction score
I had trans issues. It was slamming up and down through gears. Overheating the trans temps to the red zone , and Trans fluid blow out back to the rear axle. I opened a case with ford customer service. Truck was in the shop 3 time for same problem and out of service for more the 30 consecutive days. I asked for Cust Svc - for new transmission , they would not budge. We ended up lemon lawing the Raptor 2017, just over a year old. The new 2018 replacement just arrived 3 days ago, keeping fingers crossed.

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I had the 3-4-5 shift issue. Corporate on mine initially authorized a rebuild, not a replacement. It required 40+ parts with some being on backorder. Even after repeated rush requests from the service manager and 800's district manager they were a few parts short after three weeks. That's when I requested a new tranny. Authorization took a few days from corporate, but after it was approved the tranny came in about a week. This was back in February so maybe the supply chain has improved.

OP
OP
R

Rapterzz

Reaction score
Yes I had the 3-4-5 shift issue. Corporate on mine initially authorized a rebuild, not a replacement. It required 40+ parts with some being on backorder. Even after repeated rush requests from the service manager and 800's district manager they were a few parts short after three weeks. That's when I requested a new tranny. Authorization took a few days from corporate, but after it was approved the tranny came in about a week. This was back in February so maybe the supply chain has improved.

I sure hope they have improved but the service manager said they had a similar issue and due to the fire at one of there suppliers they went ahead and replaced it ASAP. Did they say what parts were bad in yours?

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got news after my third trip to the dealer about my transmission issues (shifting 3-4-5 up and down shifting). I was told my transmission is having to come out and either be rebuilt or replaced. Any one else have this done and how long of a process is this was ford good to work with?

Mine was replaced In January 2018 due to a leak in the transmission housing case where the transfer case bolts up. I too had the hard (slamming) 3-4-5 gears. It would get stuck in 7th every once in a while too.

It needed the housing replaced but it was on backorder for ~1 year.

It took ~40 days for Ford Co. to approve the replacement transmission. I have put 5000 miles on the new one and it’s 100% better. I still get the periodic hard 3-4-5 up/down shifts, but nothing like the previous transmission.

I own a 2017 Supercab.

OP
OP
R

Rapterzz

Reaction score
Mine was replaced In January 2018 due to a leak in the transmission housing case where the transfer case bolts up. I too had the hard (slamming) 3-4-5 gears. It would get stuck in 7th every once in a while too.

It needed the housing replaced but it was on backorder for ~1 year.

It took ~40 days for Ford Co. to approve the replacement transmission. I have put 5000 miles on the new one and it’s 100% better. I still get the periodic hard 3-4-5 up/down shifts, but nothing like the previous transmission.

I own a 2017 Supercab.

Thanks for the info. I sure hope mine is not 40 days to remedy

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They found the one way clutch pack was burning out on mine. The rollpin recall helped in verifying the issue as when they dropped the pan there was too much metal shavings at only 7500 miles. I hope the replacement or rebuild works out for you. Mine went back to the desler after a month as the hard shift issue came back but from 3-2 instead of 4-3.

chujk1985

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They found the one way clutch pack was burning out on mine. The rollpin recall helped in verifying the issue as when they dropped the pan there was too much metal shavings at only 7500 miles. I hope the replacement or rebuild works out for you. Mine went back to the desler after a month as the hard shift issue came back but from 3-2 instead of 4-3.

Is this similar to the hard shifts ppl are experiencing in Sport mode or is this completely different?

OP
OP
R

Rapterzz

Reaction score
Is this similar to the hard shifts ppl are experiencing in Sport mode or is this completely different?

I can tell you my sport mode is beyond aggressive it also will not go past 7th gear even at highway speeds.

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m about to the dealer call today the about the hard shifting in sport mode. Between 1-2 and 4-5 its absolutely horrible. And then downshifting 4-3-2-1.

For those with problems did it happen in all driving modes?