Advice / Thoughts on Used 2017?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigzaj

Reaction score
I've wanted a Raptor for a while now and balked at buying a 2017 this past summer because I was buying a new car for my daughter at the time. I really like the Avalanche color so I have been considering buying used.

I have never bought a used vehicle, always viewed it as buying someone else's problems. Any advice or thoughts on what I should look for and be cautious of if I go down this route?

sbdave

Reaction score
I've wanted a Raptor for a while now and balked at buying a 2017 this past summer because I was buying a new car for my daughter at the time. I really like the Avalanche color so I have been considering buying used.

I have never bought a used vehicle, always viewed it as buying someone else's problems. Any advice or thoughts on what I should look for and be cautious of if I go down this route?

Personally I think buying used can be a great deal, as long as you do your homework, and take your time to find a good deal. If it is still under warranty, and well maintained buying used can be a great value.

That said... buying a Raptor used is going to be tough. So many people payed over MSRP that they are going to want at least sticker for their used Raptor... it seems like every used Raptor I've seen, the owner always wants an obscene amount of money. Granted I'm in CA, so it probably depends on your market.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People are going to tell you to stay away from first model year run's. Too Many problems. Buy a 2018 or wait for the 2019. Blah blah blah. I have a 2017, >17K miles, have not had any of the issues frequently discussed on this forum, with the exception of the occasional waste gate rattle, which is resolved with a quick blip of the accelerator. My truck has no cam phaser rattles, no turbo rattles, no exhaust rattles, does not consume oil, and it had a PC installed from new to 5,000 miles then an MPT tune on it from there to present day. Plus, its still running on the original OEM spark plugs with no change in my fuel economy from new. Research the used truck you find if you go that route. There are some out there with the problems described above. But, the problems are not prevalent to every truck. I've seen people on this forum trade in their 2017 (which was running fine) for a new 2018 that had issues. Go Figure.

Plus, look in this thread (What would you do?) This guy posted yesterday that he's looking at a brand new Avalanche for sale. Trying to decide between that one or a new 2018 White one.

Last edited:

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My situation is the opposite, this is the first new vehicle I've ever owned because I always let someone else take the initial depreciation hit. But when 2014 Raptors with 60k miles were selling for more than $50k, it made little sense for me to buy used.

I am very happy with my 2017 and have had zero problems. I expect this thing to last me another 10-15 years, so I wouldn't have any hesitation about buying one second hand as long as it looks like it wasn't abused. Pretty easy to tell if the thing has been thrashed off-road by looking underneath. I would also avoid anything that was modified or tuned.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Gen 2 is a much more upscale vehicle than the Gen 1s, especially early Gen 1s. Which means most people who bought the ~$65k Gen 2s have babied it - you can see the number of threads about ceramic coating and HRE wheels and whatnot.

Flip side is that being a turbo, there is a ton of hot rodding and modding going on with tunes, downpipes, etc.

So, buying a Gen 2 used should be OK as long as you get a stock truck that's been cared for.

-Ryan-

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a pre-purchase vehicle inspection done if you really want to be cautious.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ive never bought a used house. I think a lot more can go wrong with a house than a car.

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

[/COLOR]I'd stay away because of the rampant throttle stuttering, misfiring, exploding oil pans, and ticking noises

Last edited by a moderator: