Advice on a Raptor - trading gt350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benjaminlox

Reaction score
Alright, I'm looking to tade my '17 gt350 against a Raptor, as I cant find the time to drive the car like I thought I would.

I have a couple dealerships willing to do MSRP on an '18 raptor order. Ive been offered 54k for my 350 (1.7k miles) and 11k for my '11 nissan xterra pro4x.

The dealer wants the gt350 upfront to sell during the warm season while I wait on the Raptor. Am I missing something here? Will this screw me on a tax savings for the truck? Should I just sell the gt350 on my own? Any advice or questions?

I appreciate any input. Thanks.

cobra281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sold my 14 gt500 a couple years back after only putting a few hundred miles and realizing the ct roads are only made for a 4x4! I sold mine to an independent buyer and took a slight bath on it but in the end I'm happy with my 17 screw raptor. Performance I can use year round, good or bad (more fun) weather.... Not sure what Nada is on your car but maybe worth just doing it as long as the dealer is committed once you give it to them... No consignment!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Alright, I'm looking to tade my '17 gt350 against a Raptor, as I cant find the time to drive the car like I thought I would.

I have a couple dealerships willing to do MSRP on an '18 raptor order. Ive been offered 54k for my 350 (1.7k miles) and 11k for my '11 nissan xterra pro4x.

The dealer wants the gt350 upfront to sell during the warm season while I wait on the Raptor. Am I missing something here? Will this screw me on a tax savings for the truck? Should I just sell the gt350 on my own? Any advice or questions?

I appreciate any input. Thanks.

That is a sucker’s bet. RUN! Do not walk, to the nearest exit.

I’ve not kept up on the gt350 market place, but you can probably do all that yourself, as a performance vehicle enthusiast. check the private sale prices and go from there. It’s your deal to negotiate but I would not turn over a car to a dealer on an order. You have zero leverage if something on the order goes south. You do have more than one vehicle in play here, but ... I would lean to no myself. That’s not to say I couldn’t talk myself into it, I could. but I suppose the best thing is to just think it through.

Dragonta2z

Reaction score
I work at a dealership and as long as your trade and purchase are within 1 year a dealer can pre-trade early and give you the tax credit on new purchase. Just add your state tax to the $54k they offered and that's your savings. You would have to sell it for more than $54k + tax for it to make sense to sell privately. Disclosure- I am in Orlando Florida (Orange county) and that's how it is here other states may vary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trading my gt350 in on my raptor but taking it in the day I go to pick up raptor. It's a 17 ruby red with convience package and stripes. MSRP was around 61k. I'm going to ask 60k and go from there. They are selling them on eBay as in SOLD for 50-57k. So I'd be happy if I get 57k

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a sucker’s bet. RUN! Do not walk, to the nearest exit.

I’ve not kept up on the gt350 market place, but you can probably do all that yourself, as a performance vehicle enthusiast. check the private sale prices and go from there. It’s your deal to negotiate but I would not turn over a car to a dealer on an order. You have zero leverage if something on the order goes south. You do have more than one vehicle in play here, but ... I would lean to no myself. That’s not to say I couldn’t talk myself into it, I could. but I suppose the best thing is to just think it through.

Exactly what smurf said. You have zero leverage in the situation you described. Waiting on a 2018 raptor can be several months if 2017 build times are anything to go by, and so much can go wrong. I wouldn't.

Find a different dealer with a 2017 already on the ground close to how you want it built. Then negotiate and complete the deal right away.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly what smurf said. You have zero leverage in the situation you described. Waiting on a 2018 raptor can be several months if 2017 build times are anything to go by, and so much can go wrong. I wouldn't.

Find a different dealer with a 2017 already on the ground close to how you want it built. Then negotiate and complete the deal right away.

I'm with these guys, either build an 18 and drive your car on the day of to pick and trade or find a 17 and do it soon.

OP
OP
B

benjaminlox

Reaction score
I appreciate all the talking points. I am going to talk to the dealer again this weekend.

Losing the leverage should something go wrong and the shelby is gone, is my biggest concern. Perhaps They could apply the tax savings to the shelby trade value, of course, they would want some sort of obligation from me I suspect..heh.

Again, thanks. The issues I have with ordering from other dealers around me, Kansas City Market, is that nearly every single one of them are pushing ADMs. I went out of town on my shelby, and got just under sticker, but I refuse to be bullied by some of these dealerships near me.

Thanks again.