Advice on 2017 Raptor Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1Wolf

Reaction score
Hello.

New here. This is my first Post. Hello everyone :)

I was hoping that maybe I could get some advice and pointers with regards to purchasing a new raptor.

I don't own a Raptor at this time, so first a little background to what led me to write this post.

I've been interested in Raptors for a while but have never had the opportunity to get one. My wife and I simply were not in the market for a new vehicle. However, my 2008 Hummer H3 just took a dump and I've had it with sinking money into the thing. My wife has had it with sinking money into the thing. I never took it offroading and babied it, its got 65K miles on it but its just always something. Anyhow, that's a whole separate story. Point is my wife gave me the thumbs up for a Raptor. I thinks she is just as excited about it as I am :)

We weren't looking to purchase dealer stock, but rather to order one we had configured on the ford website.

I'm no ace when it comes to buying a new car. In my own time I've only ever purchased two.

So we started going to dealers today and as I'm sure you all can already guess, I'm running into a lot of walls. We went to 3 or 4 dealers today and all of them tell me that they don't have 'allocation'. This term is new to me. I've never purchased a brand new Ford so I'm unfamiliar with this whole allocation thing.

Am I too late to the game? Am I just out of luck and I'm wasting my time? Is there no way to order one from the manufacturer configured as you build it online? Then on top of that, even if I DID find someone who would order me one...are they likely to be asking for crazy stuff (well, crazy to me) like 15K over MSRP? I went into this expecting to pay MSRP for a custom ordered vehicle but never expected to have difficulty ordering one or have someone charge those amounts over MSRP.

Any advice would certainly be helpful. Maybe I'm just going about this all wrong. Or maybe some of you guys have been in my shoes before :)

Thanks in advance!

rohardi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An "allocation" is a slot for that dealer to order a Raptor. They can order a raptor as a custom order for a customer, or they can order it to sell of their lot. Each dealer is given a limited number of "allocations" based on their sales volume. A dealer may only get 3 allocations to sell for the entire model year. A larger dealer may get 12+ allocations. So lets say the dealer has 4 allocations for arguments sake. if the order banks opened in the summer of 2016, and all allocations were spoken for, that dealer will not be able to sell you a Raptor now in March of 2017 for model year 2017. At this point most allocations are spoken for for 2017 model year. If you search, you MAY find one somewhere nationally. They dealer may be asking anywhere from MSRP all the way up to $30,000 above MSRP. So lets say you find someone that has an allocation for 2017 and you agree on pricing (whatever deal you make with the dealer) you will have to wait till all of the orders prior to yours are produced before your order gets built. So if the dealer gets 4 allocations, the Ford Zone rep may only allow them to build a raptor order once every quarter. If they have 12 allocations, they may get to submit an order once a month... At this point, you may want to put in for a 2018... Hope this gives you a good breakdown .

Last edited:

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are willing to pay more than msrp, and want to have it now, Photoeffect has built a site that scraped cars.com or autotrader and lists all of the raptors, a quick way to see what is available.

A lot of people here paid more than msrp, and had to wait or still waiting for their truck, so you will be in good company with other further owners.

The dealer markup on raptors are excessive, but if you find one you like, don't be afraid to negotiate with them. Some will work with you, some will wait for someone willing to pay the mark up they are looking for.

It's a great truck! Good luck!

marilynsride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will be sinking money into a raptor but in a different way. When I bought mine I thought "nice I wont have to spend any more money on this vehicle". I didnt realize that the purchase price was just the beginning. The mods will begin sooner than you think. Take the leap (at msrp) and dont look back, its an addiction but well worthwhile

Last edited:

KTMRC8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're not crazy, anyone paying over msrp is a tool of precedent.

Careful...Your gripe is with the dealerships, not the consumers. Some are fortunate enough to be able to pay over MSRP, so rather then take it out on them, take it out on Ford and their ****** allocation system.