access for mobility impaired passengers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I haven’t seen this talked about, but I’ve got a need to haul a passenger or 2 who are getting up in years and mobility challenged. We’re talking canes / walkers here, so neither bike will do and the Raptor will be a bit of a challenge to say the least. Anyone face this with a Rap ? Got an answer besides ‘buy a beat up AMC pacer for transport duty’?

I know it’s probably too big an ask, but who knows, maybe someone has some ideas. It’s the internet, after all... it HAS to be true.

thx

Ltl6pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t seen this talked about, but I’ve got a need to haul a passenger or 2 who are getting up in years and mobility challenged. We’re talking canes / walkers here, so neither bike will do and the Raptor will be a bit of a challenge to say the least. Anyone face this with a Rap ? Got an answer besides ‘buy a beat up AMC pacer for transport duty’?

I know it’s probably too big an ask, but who knows, maybe someone has some ideas. It’s the internet, after all... it HAS to be true.

thx

Try you tube. I saw a clip that showed a nice mod on a Raptor for a guy in a wheelchair. It may also have be post somewhere on here, FRF. Will cost a good bit. But is the only thing I have seen. If I can find it I will post the link.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score

thx
My grandad is a resident at the local veterans home here in OH. He just said to me that he prefers the raptor because he has to step up in rather than turn and sit down. Granted he is more mobile than most his age, but you may find it easier for them to step up onto the running board with a spotter on each elbow and then sit.

Famous last words, "if you hit it faster it will smooth out some!"

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

thx

My mother and father in law are 78 same boat I carry a rubbermaid step stool half the height of the running boards to act like stairs in the bed and set it down for them to help them get in easier. Still have to hold them and let them use my shoulder to get in but it works. I wouldn't call them "mobility challenged" though I would say old as **** and can't move around anymore like they used to.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
As @oxfordraptor said, a small step stool to get to the running board and it's all good.

I just took my wife's grandpa to a BBQ and everyone was worried about him getting into the truck. He laughed at all of them and said this was a heck of a lot easier than having to get down into a car, let alone back up and out of the car. He said this way, he can take his time, grab on to the handle and pull him self up on the step, and then up one more time into the truck.

I think you'll find the truck is much better IMO - just don't take the running boards off.

OP
OP
smurfslayer

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Oh for pete's sake.
Throw a cheap plastic step stool in the back.

We’re talking canes / walkers here

I’ve had to live with and work around people with compromised mobility for over a decade. You can’t (responsibly) just put a step stool down for someone using a walker or rollator ( a 4 wheeled walker ) because they’re using the walker or cane because they’re a fall risk. Falling from normal height is already a concussion risk, so minimizing the steps would be key.

I appreciate the suggestions and thanks.

Two Dogs

Reaction score
I've had a 3/4 ton Dodge 4wd for many years and I scoop them up and put them in the passenger seat. The lady's seem to enjoy it and the guys tolerate it. About a 150 lb limit though.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve had to live with and work around people with compromised mobility for over a decade. You can’t (responsibly) just put a step stool down for someone using a walker or rollator ( a 4 wheeled walker ) because they’re using the walker or cane because they’re a fall risk. Falling from normal height is already a concussion risk, so minimizing the steps would be key.

I appreciate the suggestions and thanks.

I've transported a small, stooped, elderly woman to church many times in my truck. She walked with a cane. I didn't mean to suggest that you toss the step stool on the ground and walk away leaving her to her fate. You're there, you've got a hand on an elbow and the other under the armpit.

Alternative: Mount a small hydrolic crane in the bed of the truck and hang a sling on it. (just kidding)