650 Miles and a cracked Torque Converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mjvthomas

Reaction score
I posted a few weeks ago about my truck leaking some kind of fluid. As a couple people correctly pointed out it was transmission oil.

I dropped the truck off at service 9/7 (same dealer I purchased from). Hurricane Irma hit our area that Sunday 9/10. The dealership was closed until the following Wednesday 9/13. Originally I was told that it was a blown seal which was on back order and it should take about a week to get it in and installed. Today I decided to drive into the service department and speak with the mechanic as I saw my truck on the lift with transmission next to it. The mechanic was very helpful and showed me that the reason the seal leaked in the first place was that my torque converter cracked. We went to the parts desk to get a date on the replacement torque converter and they told me there is no ETA, no tracking number etc.

My service manager must have heard I stopped in as she finally text me to inform me that the torque converter needs to be replaced and it is ordered. She said I will let you know when the parts manager gives me an ETA as to when your part will arrive.

So I will have owned this truck for 7 weeks and it has been in the shop for more time than I have owned it. I have been reading Florida lemon law but have never actually known anyone to actually go through with a claim. In a situation like this shouldn't the dealer try to do something for their new customer, should I be asking for compensation or something? I just had to make the first payment on the truck to put icing on the cake.

Any suggestions of what I should do would be appreciated. Oh and I dont need to hear from anyone about how their Gen 1 has no problems etc etc.

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted a few weeks ago about my truck leaking some kind of fluid. As a couple people correctly pointed out it was transmission oil.

I dropped the truck off at service 9/7 (same dealer I purchased from). Hurricane Irma hit our area that Sunday 9/10. The dealership was closed until the following Wednesday 9/13. Originally I was told that it was a blown seal which was on back order and it should take about a week to get it in and installed. Today I decided to drive into the service department and speak with the mechanic as I saw my truck on the lift with transmission next to it. The mechanic was very helpful and showed me that the reason the seal leaked in the first place was that my torque converter cracked. We went to the parts desk to get a date on the replacement torque converter and they told me there is no ETA, no tracking number etc.

My service manager must have heard I stopped in as she finally text me to inform me that the torque converter needs to be replaced and it is ordered. She said I will let you know when the parts manager gives me an ETA as to when your part will arrive.

So I will have owned this truck for 7 weeks and it has been in the shop for more time than I have owned it. I have been reading Florida lemon law but have never actually known anyone to actually go through with a claim. In a situation like this shouldn't the dealer try to do something for their new customer, should I be asking for compensation or something? I just had to make the first payment on the truck to put icing on the cake.

Any suggestions of what I should do would be appreciated. Oh and I dont need to hear from anyone about how their Gen 1 has no problems etc etc.

Damn. Really sorry to hear about this. Imo it's probably a little premature to be thinking lemon law stuff but depending on the amount of time it's been there and how much longer it's going to be there it's definitely appropriate to request ford make the payments.

OP
OP
M

Mjvthomas

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the state attorney generals office. Based on time in the shop I meet the basic requirements to claim. The arbitrator is going to call me to go over specifics.

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score

Did you buy from them and pay an ADM?

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score
Added dealer markup? Does this mean dealer fees? I paid MSRP for the truck.

Even at MSRP, they made several thousand off you as they bought it "wholesale priced" from Ford. If this lemon thing doesn't work out, try getting them to kick back the $10k plus they made off you.

OP
OP
M

Mjvthomas

Reaction score
Even at MSRP, they made several thousand off you as they bought it "wholesale priced" from Ford. If this lemon thing doesn't work out, try getting them to kick back the $10k plus they made off you.

Is this something that most dealers would do? Service department sucks, probably don't need to involve them.

I dealt with the GM when purchasing the truck as he was trying to get $10k over MSRP until I shopped him all over the state and got other dealers to put in writing they would sell at MSRP. He finally took MSRP but it was non-stop negotiating. Is this something I should go to him with, or try to go above him as the dealership has numerous locations in my area.

Smokeshow60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this something that most dealers would do? Service department sucks, probably don't need to involve them.

I dealt with the GM when purchasing the truck as he was trying to get $10k over MSRP until I shopped him all over the state and got other dealers to put in writing they would sell at MSRP. He finally took MSRP but it was non-stop negotiating. Is this something I should go to him with, or try to go above him as the dealership has numerous locations in my area.

No it's not..

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score

I would definitely try lemon law first to get rid of the truck. Then, if that doesn't work, go after dealer for the profit they made off you.
I recently bought a vehicle at "dealer cost" and it was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than any employee discount! I was amazed at that!

Smokeshow60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would definitely try lemon law first to get rid of the truck. Then, if that doesn't work, go after dealer for the profit they made off you.
I recently bought a vehicle at "dealer cost" and it was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than any employee discount! I was amazed at that!

And neither of those things are ever gonna happen. Not for a torque converter.