5w20 or 5w30 full synthetic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmercer3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ford lists in the owners manual and their website 5w30 full synthetic oil.

All I have scene referrenced here is 5w20.

So with our Gen2's, which are we going to use if we switch over to a mobil 1 type of oil?

5w30 or 20?

SAE?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
p40 of the Raptor supplement manual says:

Recommended motor oil (U.S.):
Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
XO-5W30-QSP

or

Optional motor oil (U.S. and Mexico): Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil XO-5W30-QFS

If you do frequent oil changes, the blend is sufficient. A lot of stop and go, sitting in traffic, or using the Raptor for it’s designed purpose, the full synthetic is worth considering, depending on exactly how hard you’re using the engine, the interval between changes and what not.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
is-this-real-life.jpg

OP
OP
D

dmercer3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
p40 of the Raptor supplement manual says:

Recommended motor oil (U.S.):
Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
XO-5W30-QSP

or

Optional motor oil (U.S. and Mexico): Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil XO-5W30-QFS

If you do frequent oil changes, the blend is sufficient. A lot of stop and go, sitting in traffic, or using the Raptor for it’s designed purpose, the full synthetic is worth considering, depending on exactly how hard you’re using the engine, the interval between changes and what not.

hey look at that, a real response!

I have scene plenty of people experiment with full synthetics in cars that were not designed for them, like my GMC terrain which owners manual stated full synthetic was ok but had issues with several incidents of it either burning or leaking. We ended up having a leak ourselves and several seals replaced under warranty and the TSB said to only use SAE regular 5w-30 after that issue.

God forbid someone get a new truck and ask simply questions?

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ford lists in the owners manual and their website 5w30 full synthetic oil.

All I have scene referrenced here is 5w20.

So with our Gen2's, which are we going to use if we switch over to a mobil 1 type of oil?

5w30 or 20?

SAE?

seen* referenced*

hey look at that, a real response!

I have scene plenty of people experiment with full synthetics in cars that were not designed for them, like my GMC terrain which owners manual stated full synthetic was ok but had issues with several incidents of it either burning or leaking. We ended up having a leak ourselves and several seals replaced under warranty and the TSB said to only use SAE regular 5w-30 after that issue.

God forbid someone get a new truck and ask simply questions?

seen* simple*

Full synthetic did not damage your GMC. Your GMC had issues before you used full synthetic and then once you switched to full synthetic the issues were amplified. I'd pay you to show that TSB stating to only use conventional oil.

OP
OP
D

dmercer3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seen* referenced*

seen* simple*

Full synthetic did not damage your GMC. Your GMC had issues before you used full synthetic and then once you switched to full synthetic the issues were amplified. I'd pay you to show that TSB stating to only use conventional oil.

It did not say to only use conventional, it said to ONLY use GM SAE 5w-30 DUE TO THE ISSUES that were discovered. I agree, the problem was not centered on the oil, but the engine. Which is why when I get a new truck, I ask and rely on experience.. only to get smart ass answers that do not help for the most part.

And I hope ther is are plentie of moore speling eorrors on ointerwebs for you to put asterics* on in the futuer.*

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
It did not say to only use conventional, it said to ONLY use GM SAE 5w-30 DUE TO THE ISSUES that were discovered. I agree, the problem was not centered on the oil, but the engine. Which is why when I get a new truck, I ask and rely on experience.. only to get smart ass answers that do not help for the most part.

And I hope ther is are plentie of moore speling eorrors on ointerwebs for you to put asterics* on in the futuer.*

a0d962dc655b429e9c14fe15afcd9e4598db25ef316d34b0f0.jpg

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score

there are* plenty more spelling* errors* interwebs* asterisk* future*

Good luck with your truck!!!