5,000 miles and up - Impressions? Good? Bad? Ugly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just rolled into the 5,000 mile mark on the ODO over the weekend. Some impressions after 5 months of ownership:

-No electrical, mechanical, engine, or other problems thus far.
-MPG's have been improving. Long highway drives in Normal mode have been giving me 16-17+ MPG. Pleasantly surprised to see this. I'm using 93 octane
-Occasional hard-shifting but not very often, maybe a couple times a month, if that
-Apple Car Play is nice and I love the Siri integration. Sometimes the audio gets mixed with the other sources so it's a little buggy at times but not often.
-Sync3 has rebooted on me about 4 times in 5 months. Only happens when my iPhone is USB connected.
-For the very little off-roading I've done, the ride is exceptional and smooth. Can't wait for the beach runs this summer!
-I've found letting the truck warm up for 3+ mins before driving smooths out the hard-shifting. Could be coincidence but that's what I've noticed vs. starting-up and taking off where I experienced the hard-shifting, especially in the mornings when the temps are cooler.

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just rolled into the 5,000 mile mark on the ODO over the weekend. Some impressions after 5 months of ownership:

-No electrical, mechanical, engine, or other problems thus far.
-MPG's have been improving. Long highway drives in Normal mode have been giving me 16-17+ MPG. Pleasantly surprised to see this. I'm using 93 octane
-Occasional hard-shifting but not very often, maybe a couple times a month, if that
-Apple Car Play is nice and I love the Siri integration. Sometimes the audio gets mixed with the other sources so it's a little buggy at times but not often.
-Sync3 has rebooted on me about 4 times in 5 months. Only happens when my iPhone is USB connected.
-For the very little off-roading I've done, the ride is exceptional and smooth. Can't wait for the beach runs this summer!
-I've found letting the truck warm up for 3+ mins before driving smooths out the hard-shifting. Could be coincidence but that's what I've noticed vs. starting-up and taking off where I experienced the hard-shifting, especially in the mornings when the temps are cooler.
3k here. same on mpg i'm at 16 now running 93. no issues sync or car play. the warm up and hard shifting i think u are correct on cooler mornings. u can hear the engine ideal changing in those first few min.. i remote start now by iphone app a few min before i take off in mornings, just cause we can :crazy:
i did notice if u havent done this yet any time u disconnect the battery just negative side to do any work it takes the trucks computer like 5+minutes or more to boot up and everything be normal again.. i was freaking out at first when back up camera and assist wasnt working or some other features and realized after letting the truck run and wait everything boots back up fine.

when u gonna change oil ? i've seen so much on this topic just getting ur view. i don't think i gonna wait till 10k miles like dealer says. maybe 5k or 7.5k since i have ridden it hard mph already both off and on road

OP
OP
solsurfr

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3k here. same on mpg i'm at 16 now running 93. no issues sync or car play. the warm up and hard shifting i think u are correct on cooler mornings. u can hear the engine ideal changing in those first few min.. i remote start now by iphone app a few min before i take off in mornings, just cause we can :crazy:
i did notice if u havent done this yet any time u disconnect the battery just negative side to do any work it takes the trucks computer like 5+minutes or more to boot up and everything be normal again.. i was freaking out at first when back up camera and assist wasnt working or some other features and realized after letting the truck run and wait everything boots back up fine.

when u gonna change oil ? i've seen so much on this topic just getting ur view. i don't think i gonna wait till 10k miles like dealer says. maybe 5k or 7.5k since i have ridden it hard mph already both off and on road

I switched to Motorcraft Synthetic at around 2K miles. I'll probably change every 10K miles from there, maybe 7,500... not sure yet. I'll likely just follow the owners manual in that regard then take into account the synthetic I'm using now.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2k here. Not a single issue. 15.3 mpg mostly city driving. Running 87 gas.

Rarely have harsh shifts unless tranny caught at a high gear going slow and I hit the gas hard. Total non issue to me. I think the tranny is one of the trucks best parts.

Will probably change oil for first time at 7500 miles

HUFN8OR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll pass 10K on the drive back home today. No issues to speak of other than a bit of a loose driver-front fender flare. Sync3 has rebooted randomly about 4 times since I picked up the truck on 12/22/16.

93 Octane only, and averaging 16.4mpg. Put in K&N Air Filter at about 1K miles. Had LOF and tires rotated at 7,632.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’ve been getting 15.5 in sport / 4a kicking around locally. Throw in some highway driving and I’ve seen 17.2 briefly, dropping into the 16’s mixing it up with highway. 87 octane.

pughde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use 93 octane getting 17.0 mostly in light traffic. Changing to Motorcraft Synthetic at 5k. No issues rough shift every so often, mostly in sport mode. So far Gen 1 has not been missed. Love the high tech gadgets plus the android auto. So far I enjoy it as much as my gt500 of couse completely different experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

CSJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5k using 91 octane. I have about 16.8 mpg avg city/hwy. Changed to Mobile 1 full synthetic at 3k. Everything seems well except I think I hear a slight fake engine noise sound on gas acceleration in 4A/4h mode. This is even after I disabled fake engine noise with Forscan. So looking at the '4 Auto Issue' thread to see if anything comes of it.

Last edited:

Baja Bucky

Reaction score
Just passed 5,800 miles on my new raptor. Mostly hwy driving at 65-80mph in sport mode. I'm right at 16.5 mpg overall running 87 octane the entire time. Just had the oil changed and tires rotated at 5500 miles and switched to full synthetic. I have a friend who is a ford mechanic that recommended full synthetic every 5k (might be a little overkill, but I plan to drive it over 200k so worth it to me). Impressions so far:

Absolutely no problems with the truck mechanically so far. Auto start/stop is annoying, so I just run in sport mode. Really glad I went with the 4dr screw; the extra space in the 2nd row and ability to flip up the seats with a flat floor has been really useful. The visibility is fantastic for a vehicle that size, definitely would recommend the 360 camera, I use it everyday with my parking situation. I am really impressed with how quiet and refined the ride is. Really like the Sync 3 system, in fact I like the sync maps over apple maps in carplay. Only wish I could access Ford's nav while in carplay mode and charging my phone. The only hiccup I've had so far was picking up a 2 inch screw in one tire. Had to replace one tire at a cost of $280 (w/mounting and balance). Only mod I have done so far is a stubby antenna (haven't noticed any drop in reception really). Haven't had a chance to do much offroading yet.

whaler230

Reaction score
I have 7800 miles since Feb. Built in Oct and waited until Feb for delivery. My major complaint was that I needed to do a full detail after the Ramp 59 fiasco. Steering wheel was off center but it runs great, don't miss the Gen 1 at all (115K).
I like everything with this truck better than the old one, except for the exhaust sound, which is a reasonable trade off. Averaging 16 mpg combined so far. I took a 1600 mile road trip and actually averaged 18.5 for the trip. Pretty impressed so far.