GEN 2 Is 38 psi for mpg only!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ-Raptor

Reaction score
As you know,ford recommends 38 psi for all corners which I think is excessive and makes the truck jumpy (especially at the back) in everyday use. I have read in other 4x4 forums guys airing down their rigs to 20-25 for daily use and those were 5500+ rigs. I have even read that some guys with bead locks running 10-12 psi for daily use!! but with 40” and 44”.

I am suspecting that the 38 psi recommendation is just for EPA MPG ratings.

I’m running 37 psi front and rear now and I don’t like how the truck handles over sharp bumps at the rear especially in turns. It just upsets the balance of the whole truck.

Anyone running anything lower than 38 psi?

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find a smooth piece of pavement and put white paper on the ground and drive over it. The contact patch of the tire will imprint on the paper. Trial and error will find the pressure that is just low enough to print the entire width of the tread. Higher and you get less patch, and lower the tire will generate more heat when running. With most cars I've found the factory pressure too high. With our BMWs it's been spot on, which makes sense as they are designed for high speed performance driving.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped to 35 all around and it's helped make the truck feel more planted.

At this point the wear on my tires from off roading far outweighs normal road driving. So I'm not too worried about premature tire wear on the road.

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also takes into account the possibility of a user towing at the max rating, or loading max payload into the bed. 38 is not really that high, a standard current-model F-150 crew cab requests 35 all around on the door. I'm running mine at about 39-40 since I am towing nearly daily at or over the max for a little while.

Linehand

Reaction score
Mine came from dealer with 50psi why would they do that when truck says 38?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk