36 gallon distance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering after the fuel tank hits empty, how many miles can you go on a 36 gallon tank.

On my tundra with a 26 gallon tank I could go 60 miles until I was dead empty.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think below the readout of 0 you can seriously damage the fuel pump

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Not only that, but with a tank this large, running it down that low can easily cause the fuel that's left to flow completely away from the fuel pick up lines if the vehicle is sitting at the right (wrong) angle causing a stall or the vehicle not to start back up if it's parked.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think below the readout of 0 you can seriously damage the fuel pump

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

the factory fuel pump sits in a surge cup so its always immersed in fuel until the last few ounces. This way it cant overheat if the tank is run low like some older GM designs. If the surge cup somehow becomes empty then the syphon wont work and the truck will shut off.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think I got low once and figured it was about 30 miles after empty

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I try to get at least 500 miles on a full tank, or else what's the point of having a 36 gallon tank?

I remember that my 80 y/o grandpa would always want to get gas whenever he was half empty.

it sounds like a lot of members on here remind me of my grandpa

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do not worry about gas gauge. Just go by miles till empty. Its easy. Its always rite