3.5 Raptor Ecoboost vs 5.0 Nightmare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daveypetey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have wheel time behind both motors? Trying to decide what to pick up as I need to move from a Scab to a Screw. Original owner of a 13 Raptor with some mild stuff done, sees off road one weekend a month. Marks up are so insane at the moment I thought I'd get some opinions on the Coyote motor with a warrantied SC, and then build it up with the money saved.

DP

Last edited:

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone have wheel time behind both motors? Trying to decide what to pick up as I need to move from a Scab to a Screw. Original owner of a 13 Raptor with some mild stuff done, sees off road one weekend a month. Marks up are so insane at the moment I thought I'd get some opinions on the Nitemare, and then build it up with the money saved.

DP

Why not just go with the Roush SC? That is a very stout truck and is already set up with a great balance for both on and off-road

Dr.Duct_Mossburg

Reaction score
I've been considering going with a standard f150 in a V8 and just throwing the wider body parts on it, grill, etc. and saving a ton of money.

Wheels and suspension would likely go aftermarket on a raptor anyways. The markup is just to ridiculous for me to absorb mentally... $70k for cheap interior, cheap sound, cheap paint finish, etc... and thats not just with this... all of the newer vehicles are just becoming ridiculous in price. I don't know how some of these families out here make it.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm a big V8 guy. Really. But if you think you can build an F150 to Raptor+ specs for LESS money, you are kidding yourself. Unless you are an aftermarket parts dealer and plan to do literally all the work yourself, you will spend a good bit more money. And you still won't have the drive modes / Raptor specific transfer case. Also, you will not have a warranty, which, if budget is an issue in the first place, is obviously an issue for you. Lastly, resale value for modded vehicles is shit.

If you want a new Raptor right now there is really only one choice.

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been considering going with a standard f150 in a V8 and just throwing the wider body parts on it, grill, etc. and saving a ton of money.

Wheels and suspension would likely go aftermarket on a raptor anyways. The markup is just to ridiculous for me to absorb mentally... $70k for cheap interior, cheap sound, cheap paint finish, etc... and thats not just with this... all of the newer vehicles are just becoming ridiculous in price. I don't know how some of these families out here make it.

Why did you join this forum then? :supergay::supergay::supergay:

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So how much are you going to spend to make that standard v8 make comparable power? Gonna supercharge it? How much does that cost? How much for the suspension? How much for the grill and fenders and bedsides? How much for the other assorted items you could probably purchase in an attempt to build a v8 raptor out of a "standard f150 " but what about the drive modes, transfer case, transmission combo, paddle shifters and other raptor specific items like umm the FRAME...

Not to mention the raptor badges you'd probably stick on there when your done..... and you still wouldn't be there

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A 2018 Lariat SCREW 4x4 with the 5.0 is 47 and some change without any rebates / incentives - I bet a leftover '17 could be had for less. You can easily best a Raptor on road and in the dirt for the 20k difference if you are smart and patient.

The 'modes' are a nice to have, they certainly aren't needed.

Frame is a non issue.

OP
OP
D

daveypetey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just go with the Roush SC? That is a very stout truck and is already set up with a great balance for both on and off-road

Sure. I'll edit the title to reflect that. Surprised no one on here has driven a coyote with a SC on it.

DP