2nd set of wheels; tire recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigTony

Reaction score
First post!

I ran into an ok deal on some beadlock rings for the factory gen2 beadlock ready wheels and bought them on a whim. Then found a nice second set of gen 1 beadlock ready wheels on CL

My idea for the wheels running beadlocks is to set them up for touring down Baja. Let's say 50/50 road/dirt but definitely biased to dirt. (I'm not hardcore by any means)

So far I have no complaints on the KO2 on-road, and they seemed to work ok off-road at the raptor assault class

I've been reading mud terrain tire reviews for a couple of hours but haven't figured out if I'd really be ahead with an M/T or just sticking with KO2

Nitto trail grapplers, Cooper discoverer sst pro, toyo m/t have all come up

What would you run as a second set of wheels( beadlocked), knowing I can swap them out and not use them for daily driving on road

(Prefer 35x12.5/17 over 315/70)

OP
OP
B

BigTony

Reaction score
Those look very cool but also $$$ and not DOT.. serious question does anyone know how they handle on tarmac?

Probably should stick with dot tires, gotta get home from Baja after all.. (I think I can get away with the beadlocks though)

D

Deleted member 12951

Perhaps if you are looking for advice and you consider the KR2 $$$ then post what your cheap budget is for these tires?

The BFG T/A KR’s (Projects) are also a great tire for baja and dirt.

Perhaps just get a second set of KO2’s if money is your main concern. And a lot of folks run non-DOT tires on the road. Just know how you need to drive when in the rain. Dry pavement is not the issue.

OP
OP
B

BigTony

Reaction score
50/50 tire road/desert; I’m not pre-running down there just touring around both on-off road and going fishing and whatnot

Kr2s don’t appear to be available in 35” but if you know a source please lmk.

Budget is irrelevant if there is a real benefit.
Given the mission parameters of 50/50 I’m looking for the best tool for the job regardless of cost.

Last edited:

aschiller98

Reaction score
Ko2 are the quietest tire on road out of the bunch, off road I have had no issues with chunking or strange quirks from my ko2's