GEN 2 2018 SCREW Transmission Leak - 6,321 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RapTrap

Reaction score
Hello All,

Long time lurker since 2011. Created an account a few years ago with a few random posts here and there. I will admit, I mostly come to FRF for:
1. Wealth of knowledge
2. Cool pics/stories of ownership
3. Shenanigans (Gen wars, Sasquatch/MGD/Jake 17, etc.)

Since learning of the raptor, I’ve had 2 G1’s (2013 & 2014) and purchased a G2 in October of this year. Since taking delivery in October of 2017, I’ve put 6,321 trouble free miles on my 2018 LFG SCREW. To date, the MPG has been substantially better than what I was seeing in my G1. The added torque and overall composure of the G2 have been unlike anything I’ve experienced in my G1. As far as the engine note is concerned, maybe I’m an outlier but the sound is tolerable and some may even say intoxicating when in sport mode above 3,000 rpms.

Despite my pleasant experience thus far, the same gremlins that plagued the Raptor during the Best in the Desert series have found their way inside my transmission.

Below is a current status of events leading
up to the point where my transmission had an out of body experience with my truck:

I drove from SC to NM last Friday for the holidays. Upon arriving to NM, I took my truck in to Power Ford of Albuquerque for the 1st oil change. 30 minutes in, the service advisor calls me back to show me something. Turns out the transmission was leaking fluid onto the crossmember. As this discovery was made at 6 PM that night, the advisor asked that I bring the truck back in the following morning to have it fully diagnosed. Before leaving the dealership, I had the tech check the transmission fluid level. Luckily, the fluid level was still within the “operating” range.

I returned to the dealership Tuesday morning and left my truck as I awaited it’s fate. I received a call later that afternoon informing me the transmission would have to be removed to determine the source of the leak.

Wednesday, I received confirmation from the service advisor that there was a small crack in the weld of the torque converter where the “housing” of the torque converter meets the opening over the input shaft (forgive my description, see pictures below). As a result, the torque converter was releasing fluid through this small crack during normal operations. The details of the failure were shared with Ford corporate the same day. It turns out, the torque converter is on back order with no ETA.

Thursday, I paid a visit to the dealership to get some things out of the truck and to see if there were any updates out of Ford corporate. Knowing it might be a long shot, I also suggested that perhaps a torque converter could be pulled from the line and expedited to NM. Working in the automotive industry, I know this is possible given the OEM’s motivation to quickly close out a warranty claim.

I plan to call the dealership later this afternoon for a final update going into the weekend. However, I am not at all confident that I will receive my truck in the near future. All of this comes as a let down as NM was only one stop during this expedition that should have also taken me to Colorado & Utah as well.

Side note: Power Ford of Albuquerque, NM has been absolutely great throughout this entire ordeal. The advisors and techs here appear to be motivated to get me and my truck back on the road despite the long lead times out of Ford corporate for a component I assumed would be readily available considering it’s used on every 10 speed transmission.

I’ve included some pictures below.

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

Details regarding the truck: 2018 SCREW with 6,231 miles at the time of diagnosis. No tunes or other engine modifications.

Feel free to chime in with any advice, suggestions, or jokes.

Update: Service advisor called me this afternoon with an update. Ford is attempting to expedite the torque converter. If they aren’t able to make it happen by next Tuesday, the advisor said they would pull a transmission from an F150 on the lot. Here’s to hoping I can just get the new transmission. If it does come down to this, I would like to make sure they full inspect the new unit prior to installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

allenfrx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Such is life as a Ford or even Chevy owner, still better than owning a Dodge

I am curious, when you say it has better "composure" than Gen 1 i assume you mean the improved handling (chiefly stopping and cornering) that always comes when you reduce weight???

I have an 18 XLT 4x4 sitting im my driveway while they work on my 14 raptor and i would have characterized it as a more luxurious ride for grand paws and old men and a better grocery getter. I Actually think we might me talking about the same thing, just spun two different ways.

I need to get behind the wheel of a 17 raptor.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

RapTrap

Reaction score
Such is life as a Ford or even Chevy owner, still better than owning a Dodge

I am curious, when you say it has better "composure" than Gen 1 i assume you mean the improved handling (chiefly stopping and cornering) that always comes when you reduce weight???

I have an 18 XLT 4x4 sitting im my driveway while they work on my 14 raptor and i would have characterized it as a more luxurious ride for grand paws and old men and a better grocery getter. I Actually think we might me talking about the same thing, just spun two different ways.

I need to get behind the wheel of a 17 raptor.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Agreed!

As far as composure is concerned, you are correct. Also:
-overall ride quality and compliance both on road and off
-steering feel (depending on the day, sometimes I miss the hydraulic rack from my 14)
-braking power (feels effortless in the G2)
-cornering ability (the amount of confidence this truck inspires is scary)
-quietness (appreciated after having a rough exhaust on my 2014 and side exit on my 2013)
-wind noise
-NVH (despite the low miles, interior trim pieces appear to be assembled with long term durability in mind)

My loaner truck is a 2017 XLT SCREW. Despite being the base model, it is surprisingly comfortable and even has a sport mode (was very surprised they would offer than on a fleet model) I joked with my wife that if my truck wasn’t done soon, I would take the XLT to Farmington, NM this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk