2018 Raptor Wireless CarPlay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gman36

Reaction score
To date only BMW offers wireless CarPlay on their 2017 lineup. This was because Harman, their tier 1 supplier of infotainment, was the first supplier to offer it.

Since the 2018 ford lineup has the option to go Bang & Olufsen for their premium audio, do you think we will get wireless CarPlay? (Bang & Olufsen is owned by Harman)

Has anyone heard anything of the sort?

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything about it. I like my phone being plugged in cause it's charging while using CarPlay win win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gibson2015

Reaction score
I haven't heard anything about wireless carplay either. For what it's worth, the new system in the F150 will be B&O play, which is technically Bang and Olufsen, but a lower teir for sure. I have a bit of experience with Bang and Olufsen as well as B&O play products. I'm not saying it's not gonna be a good system, but I wouldn't be hoping for that high end luxury sound system experience. Hopefully it sounds better than the Sony.

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rollout of wireless CarPlay seems to have really not moved beyond BMW and Alpine offering it as an aftermarket install. Even the 18' Expedition seems questionable whether it's going to be offered.

The B&O system I have had experience with was in an Audi A4 that has the 19 speaker, 755 watt system. Quite honestly I didn't think the sound was that great for what was advertised. Little bass, tinny, and that wasn't on Sirius. I'm sure the $5k upgrade system on the Q7 should sound great. But I don't see Ford installing anywhere near an A4 system.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The rollout of wireless CarPlay seems to have really not moved beyond BMW and Alpine offering it as an aftermarket install. Even the 18' Expedition seems questionable whether it's going to be offered.

The B&O system I have had experience with was in an Audi A4 that has the 19 speaker, 755 watt system. Quite honestly I didn't think the sound was that great for what was advertised. Little bass, tinny, and that wasn't on Sirius. I'm sure the $5k upgrade system on the Q7 should sound great. But I don't see Ford installing anywhere near an A4 system.

Given the lack of increased pricing, I suspect the new system is comparable to the Sony. In all likelihood Ford made the switch because B&O gave them a better price than Sony. I seriously doubt this is a free lunch situation where Ford is reducing their profit margins to install a better and more expensive stereo.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Harmann has much more auto experience and better products than Sony. The B&O nameplate has zero to do with Bang&Olufsen these days, true enough, but the rebadged JBL or whatever they're going to use will almost surely sound better than the Sony.

Last edited:

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I listen to a new Lincoln Continental the other day at the dealer with the new Revel Audio system in it and it was impressive, i know they dropped their " THX" Audio systems and went to Revel. I have also heard the B&O in the low and high end Audis and I wasn't impressed at all, now the High end Mercedes with the B&O systems are incredible. I would imagine the B&O in the new Raptor will have the same cheap speakers and sub setup and different processing and that's about it, I hope I am wrong. Lol

My bucket list to listen to is the Cadillac CT6 with Bose Panaray 34 Speaker system and the Volvo C90 with the Bowers and Wilkins 19 speaker system.
Also the Land Rover Meridian Signature Series 1700watts 29 Speakera.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Harmann has much more auto experience and better products than Sony. The B&O nameplate has zero to do with Bang&Olufsen these days, true enough, but the rebadged JBL or whatever they're going to use will almost surely sound better than the Sony.

To reach the same pricepoint as the Sony, I'm sure B&O will use most of the same materials so the sound will mostly be the same. I'm sure people will claim it sounds better because of confirmation bias and different default mixer settings (think Beats cranking the bass to make their headphones sound 'better'). But the difference will be close enough that it is mostly opinion that separates the two.

If it was a standalone $2,000 stereo upgrade option, then yes it would have much higher build quality and sound better. But at the same price point, don't get your hopes up, the sound is going to be in the same neighborhood as the Sony.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I listen to a new Lincoln Continental the other day at the dealer with the new Revel Audio system in it and it was impressive, i know they dropped their " THX" Audio systems and went to Revel. I have also heard the B&O in the low and high end Audis and I wasn't impressed at all, now the High end Mercedes with the B&O systems are incredible. I would imagine the B&O in the new Raptor will have the same cheap speakers and sub setup and different processing and that's about it, I hope I am wrong. Lol

My bucket list to listen to is the Cadillac CT6 with Bose Panaray 34 Speaker system and the Volvo C90 with the Bowers and Wilkins 19 speaker system.
Also the Land Rover Meridian Signature Series 1700watts 29 Speakera.

For what it's worth, Revel, Levinson, B&O and Bowers are all Harmann brands.

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

To reach the same pricepoint as the Sony, I'm sure B&O will use most of the same materials so the sound will mostly be the same. I'm sure people will claim it sounds better because of confirmation bias and different default mixer settings (think Beats cranking the bass to make their headphones sound 'better'). But the difference will be close enough that it is mostly opinion that separates the two.

If it was a standalone $2,000 stereo upgrade option, then yes it would have much higher build quality and sound better. But at the same price point, don't get your hopes up, the sound is going to be in the same neighborhood as the Sony.

Entirely logical, but my point is that when it comes to audio and especially car audio, Harmann have expertise and manufacturing depth that frankly outclasses Sony. I think that for a given price point, Harmann can design and produce a better system. But we'll see soon enough.