2018 Raptor Skid Plate Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tlh235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i started to remove the skid plate from my 2018 Gen2 yesterday. I want to bedline the skidplate and the seciton of the bumper that is silver color I started with the front right bolt first. When i started wrenching it from the bottom, the piece of metal(clip....not sure of the part specific name) on the top that i'm guessing is supposed to keep the top nut from also turning actually snapped and then i was in that "spinning" of both bolts when continuing to wrench. So i went back to Youtube to watch a couple vidoes of the skidplate being removed(thinking i missed something) but everyone was just wrenching it from the bottom bolt and the bolts where coming off. So my question, should i have been using a wrench to hold the top still while i wrenched from the bottom. I'm guessing that will fix my issue with the one i started with but i didn't want to go on until i asked the question to some that might be more mechanicallly inclined that me. I try to do the easier things myself, especially when their are videos out there showing these things...but this thew me and i didn't want to break them all.

any ideas...i'll take some pics today, but last night it was a little on the dark side so i wanted to be sure i got pics in the light

kboom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i started to remove the skid plate from my 2018 Gen2 yesterday. I want to bedline the skidplate and the seciton of the bumper that is silver color I started with the front right bolt first. When i started wrenching it from the bottom, the piece of metal(clip....not sure of the part specific name) on the top that i'm guessing is supposed to keep the top nut from also turning actually snapped and then i was in that "spinning" of both bolts when continuing to wrench. So i went back to Youtube to watch a couple vidoes of the skidplate being removed(thinking i missed something) but everyone was just wrenching it from the bottom bolt and the bolts where coming off. So my question, should i have been using a wrench to hold the top still while i wrenched from the bottom. I'm guessing that will fix my issue with the one i started with but i didn't want to go on until i asked the question to some that might be more mechanicallly inclined that me. I try to do the easier things myself, especially when their are videos out there showing these things...but this thew me and i didn't want to break them all.

any ideas...i'll take some pics today, but last night it was a little on the dark side so i wanted to be sure i got pics in the light

That’s a great idea. Was thinking the same thing myself. I would love to line-x mine in black. That stuff fades though so might want to powder coat instead in satin black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Tlh235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeh, i got an estimate from Line-X, they said to remove it and line-x ($250). When i had my jeep wrangler, i did my entire hardtop interior with spray can bedliner and it turned out awesome. It goes on very easy. I just saw it as something i could do myself with 2 can's of spray on bedliner. Powder Coating would be an idea also...i wonder how much that would run? I have a magnetic raptor with the dark beadlocks...just thought a darker colored skidplate would look better than the bright silver

OP
OP
T

Tlh235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess no one has had my issue...i'm starting to think one gets more replies using the Gen 2 Facebook Group than this forum...

kboom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess no one has had my issue...i'm starting to think one gets more replies using the Gen 2 Facebook Group than this forum...

I never attempted to remove it. I would love to help you though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah that metal clip on the top has a built in nut. If they both spin at the same time something isn't right. Probably snapped the bracket that holds it in place.

Can you get a crescent or a box end wrench on the nut?

OP
OP
T

Tlh235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that metal clip on the top has a built in nut. If they both spin at the same time something isn't right. Probably snapped the bracket that holds it in place.

Can you get a crescent or a box end wrench on the nut?

Hoping i can get to the inside ones...might have to use sons little hands to hold it.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My brackets spun but I was careful to make sure I didn't screw them up and tried my best to reposition them when I put the plate back on.

I dipped mine to see if I liked the look before going full on line x. Just waiting to tear up the dip before I Line x mine. The shop I'd use charges about $250 for it, but for the effort I think I'd just do it myself. Masking off the bumper part is what is annoying.

IMAG0791.jpg