2018 Raptor Production Nightmare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

torrentuser

Reaction score
The Raptor experience has now entered the Raptor nightmare. Just learned this morning that the truck failed a Quality Control check right after it was built and before it was released. Ford is putting the truck back through the production line and resolving the issue. They will not tell me what failed or giving me ANY estimate of when the truck will be sent to the dealership. So it is still in Dearborn, Michigan!

Let me back up... In July I put in an order for a 2018 Lightning Blue 802A SCAB (no cf/no bl wheels). I'm a Californian and I ordered my truck through a dealership in Kansas City. I got my sticker in early September with a build date to Sept 14th. The truck got build. Ford then informed my dealer that the truck would be arriving between Sept 25-29. I jumped on getting financing and securing a contract for the hauler to pick up the Raptor. On Sept 27th I paid for the Raptor with the expectation that it would arrive on Fri 29th and the following Monday the transporter would come to pick it up. Well, the truck never arrived. The dealership sales department tried for weeks to get an idea of where the truck was and after that all failed, eventually the owner of the dealership reached out to a higher level in the Ford bureaucracy to learn that it had failed QC and was being held at the factory.

I'm now just waiting for a call from the dealership... no end in sight. I'm not looking for sympathy but I learned a valuable lesson. If you are out of state, don't buy something that hasn't arrived at the dealership and is ready for a pickup no matter how quickly you want to get it on the transporter. Otherwise you might end up like me who has a piece of paper (title) and a truck that is 2,000 miles away at the factory.

It was very disingenuous of Ford to have told the dealership that it would arrive in Kansas City between Sept 25-29 when, in fact, it never left the factory!

BTW, I don't fault the dealership, I have no reason to suspect any foul play or incompetence on their part. They just shared the best information that they had in the run up to the delivery.

I've heard from my Facebook friends that I'm somewhat lucky that the problem was discovered at the factory and they are going to send it out working 100%.... it could have been worse if it showed up and I was the Quality Assurance guy. What if I diagnosed the fault and had to bring it to the dealership to get it fixed and it languished at the dealer for weeks/months? Always look on the Bright Side of Life... I suppose.

In the coming weeks, I'll keep the group informed about how everything gets resolved.

D

Deleted member 12951

Based on some of the Raptor that made it out of Dearborn with issues, yours must of had major issues for them to hold it back. I hope you don't end up with a lemon for the long term. Best of luck and I would document the shit out of it as its been known for Ford to buy these back but hard to do most of the time.

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Based on some of the Raptor that made it out of Dearborn with issues, yours must of had major issues for them to hold it back. I hope you don't end up with a lemon for the long term. Best of luck and I would document the shit out of it as its been known for Ford to buy these back but hard to do most of the time.

Ford wouldn't do quality inspections if these inspections never found problems. They find and correct problems all the time and it probably even occured on your truck. The only difference is you never knew about it. Rework is a very normal thing and doesn't make it a lemon.

OP
OP
T

torrentuser

Reaction score
It did not have the moonroof so I suspected it might have been pulled back for the roof rivets but mine was built on Sept 14th... and the recall applies to trucks built prior to that date.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
So you have a title to a truck stuck at the plant. Definitely sucks. What happens if Ford says the defect can't be fixed and we will build you a new truck? That sounds like a DMV/tax nightmare in the making.

OP
OP
T

torrentuser

Reaction score
I sure haven't tried to register it. The title is tied to a VIN... if they issue me a new VIN, I'll need a new title. I'm concerned about the new registration fees that kick in on Jan 1st 2018. I don't want to end up paying that fee if the truck takes that long. I really hope they get their act in gear.

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least your order was pulled and manufactured quickly. My truck took just over 6 months from the time I placed the order to the time I picked up the truck. Hopefully they’ll get it all squared away for you promptly, and you’ll have your truck in no time. This truck is worth the wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk