2017 vs 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not accurate. We use it all the time while towing, as that's actually almost what it is best for when you are stuck in the slow (RH) lane allot behind slower vehicles...have to believe it is exact same system from what I have read.

Check the warnings in your manual. It should say this -

"Do not use adaptive cruise control when towing a trailer that has trailer brakes. The auto-brake component of the adaptive cruise control system does not operate the trailer brakes. Using adaptive cruise control when towing a trailer that has trailer brakes may result in the loss of vehicle control, which could result in serious injury."

The '18 manual has been changed. Now it only warns against third party brake controllers -

Do not use the system when towing a trailer with aftermarket trailer brake controls. Aftermarket trailer brakes will not function properly when you switch the system on because the brakes are electronically controlled. Failing to do so may result in loss of vehicle control, which could result in serious injury.

edit: actually this is interesting - just to verify I went to ford.com and downloaded the '17 manual to check. Sure enough it uses the same language as the '18. But then I noticed that the manual is edition 2. You can still download edition 1, and that one has the old warning. So either it was a mistake in the first printing or they updated the system sometime in '17. My guess is it was a mistake.

Last edited:

brzon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also think I recall seeing trailer gain output on ACC auto braking...but not certain on this. Might just have been with cruise on, but not engaged.

I can confirm that it's (ACC) definitely NOT disabled in tow mode while trailering a 24' cargo trailer with electric brakes tho. My truck is a late '17 built June '17.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

The new note is confusing as hell and was probably written by someone who has never pulled anything larger than a U-haul trailer...

Trailer with "aftermarket" electric brakes (EB's) or aftermarket EB controller in the truck itself?

AKEBRK-7R-D_9_1000.jpg

All trailers with EB's are "aftermarket" brakes as trailer mfg. is just packaging up someone else's axles/brakes (e.g. my 24' Stealth Titan trailer uses Lippert brand 5200# axles/electric drum brakes), etc.

Surge brakes use a hydraulic system similar to a master cylinder on the compressible tongue the comresses under braking. Our boat trailer is like that, as EB's would not be good underwater on launching!

Last edited:

Jred2255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple things I noticed in my sister in laws 2018. Ambient lighting color selection is gone, cooled seats work better.

Perauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just traded my 17 802A with 12k on a new blue 18 802A
Changes I see
-Auto off button swapped with camera button
-Sport steering seems tighter
-Shocks seem stiffer ,not as much floating
-Heated steering wheel automatically came on this am .40 degrees out this am
-Heated seats came back on when restored.seems theres a memory for last settings ?
-B&O much crisper and more Bass

Just got truck last night only 13 miles at delivery so full report later.

Heelfan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just traded my 17 802A with 12k on a new blue 18 802A
Changes I see
-Auto off button swapped with camera button
-Sport steering seems tighter
-Shocks seem stiffer ,not as much floating
-Heated steering wheel automatically came on this am .40 degrees out this am
-Heated seats came back on when restored.seems theres a memory for last settings ?
-B&O much crisper and more Bass

Just got truck last night only 13 miles at delivery so full report later.

Heated seats and steering wheel (HVAC conditions) can be set to AUTO or last setting. I keep mine in auto and will adjust to current outside conditions.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've heard that the 2018 is faster.

Makes sense with the new v8 that Mcnawsty said they were going to put in it.