Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]

2017 Raptor Turbo Leak

This is a discussion on 2017 Raptor Turbo Leak within the Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
Originally Posted by flzrider So I did some research and it seems like the 3.5 Ecoboost motor uses an eBOV ...

User Tag List

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2017, 01:04 PM   #41 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
So I did some research and it seems like the 3.5 Ecoboost motor uses an eBOV (electronic blow off valve, although technically it really should be called an electronic re-circulation valve as it release the boost back into the intake system). The eBOV is attached directly to the intercooler. This video is from a 1st gen 3.5 ecoboost, but you can see it here: https://youtu.be/V-bdHOzVHUc?t=83

There is an intake manifold pressure sensor attached to the top of the top of the manifold that tells the ECU when to open the eBOV. Same video, can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/V-bdHOzVHUc?t=216

After some more searching, it seems like people have had issues with the eBOV staying open for longer than it should, usually due to a torn internal diaphragm. The issue is fixed by replacing the eBOV. See this thread: BOV staying open under load... 2013 FX4 SCREW - Page 3

You can try convincing your dealer you know what the issue is, but that generally doesn't go over too well. You can also try replacing the part yourself, but that is $ out of your pocket and you run the risk that it is actually something else all together.

Let us know how it goes.
When this happens should there be an engine parameter that's out of wack that you can see with a data logger? I assume it doesn't set a code, so I might have answered my own question.

Mike

MikeEby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #42 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

That’s a bad diverter/bov......used to be in the VW tuning scene in another life, and when my BOV took a dump, that was THE EXACT same sound and turbo response I witnessed. Tell them to jump in the car you drive, they witness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jsrick80 likes this.
18LeadfootNNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:06 PM   #43 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
The issue finally arose on a day that I was off, and able to take my truck into the dealership.

I have a large vacuum leak. When the boost surges, the pressure finds its way through the system, and is expelled out the leak. Due to the sudden drop in pressure after the boost settles, the pressure actuated hubs lock.

Basically everytime my turbo boosts up in each gear, my truck is thrown into four wheel drive.

Last edited by jsrick80; 11-14-2017 at 01:22 AM.
jsrick80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:44 PM   #44 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Originally Posted by jsrick80 View Post
The issue finally arose on a day that I was off, and able to take my truck into the dealership.

I have a large vacuum leak. When the boost surges, the pressure finds its way through the system, and is expelled out the leak. Due to the sudden drop in pressure after the boost settles, the pressure actuated hubs lock.

Basically overtime my turbo boosts up in each gear, my truck is thrown into four wheel drive.
Wow. Would’ve never guessed that one.

Which component(s) did they replace?
MGD likes this.
flzrider is offline   Reply With Quote