2017 Raptor QandA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why doesn’t Raptor save up to 700 pounds of weight, like the rest of the F-150 lineup? We have reallocated some of the F-150’s overall weight savings by prioritizing off-road capability, giving the all-new Raptor a purpose-built, heavy-duty frame, specialized four-wheel-drive system and unique FOX Racing suspension that’s more capable than the previous Raptor’s suspension.

How is the Raptor’s frame stronger? While today’s Raptor started with a standard F-150 frame, this time we re-engineered the frame from front to back specifically for Raptor, with thicker gauge, high-strength steel and redesigned shock mounts.

Did you do this because of frame-bending problems in the previous Raptor? A very small number of Raptor owners reported damage after driving beyond their vehicle’s capabilities. As always, when driving through new off-road terrain, Raptor owners need to scout the area first and build speed slowly as they become familiar with driving conditions. [If pushed: Raptor is Built Ford Tough, but, like any other vehicle ,it can be damaged if used beyond its capabilities.]

Why are the guys on FRF so butthurt about the new Raptor having a V6? We're on to Cincinnati.

The information regarding the frame and suspension are interesting. I like how Ford has improved on the weaknesses that the current Raptor found in the regular F-150 line up. A better frame, a better 4wheel drive system.
The 3.0 shocks where the clear choice for the new raptor and the beefed up shock mounts are a clear weak point that is now fixed.

Spying some of the photos, it looks like there is at least a 4 leaf spring pack on the model truck. Lighter weight and better suspension should translate to an over all better ride off the showroom floor. This also means that raptor owners will be pushing the limits further.

What the upgrade from 3.0 shocks?? Can you fit a 4.0 in the stock location?

I hope that the steering system has been upgraded to account for the abuse that we put these through.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hope that the steering system has been upgraded to account for the abuse that we put these through.

I was curious on the steering, because right now ALL their truck engines are EPAS, except the 6.2 equipped trucks still came with HPAS. The Gen 2 Raptor is supposed to be an all-new 3.5 EB, from the block up, so I'm very curious if they're making it work with HPAS for the Raptors, or if they've got an upgraded EPAS that can handle the larger tires/suspension and offroading capabilities of the Raptor.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was curious on the steering, because right now ALL their truck engines are EPAS, except the 6.2 equipped trucks still came with HPAS. The Gen 2 Raptor is supposed to be an all-new 3.5 EB, from the block up, so I'm very curious if they're making it work with HPAS for the Raptors, or if they've got an upgraded EPAS that can handle the larger tires/suspension and offroading capabilities of the Raptor.

I had the same question. I would guess a epas system

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your right, the first ones to the showrooms will be marked up, they do with every new model. But since every dealer will be able to order them with regular allocation, makeups won't last long.
In So Cal you are likely correct. In many parts of the nation this is less likely.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your right, the first ones to the showrooms will be marked up, they do with every new model. But since every dealer will be able to order them with regular allocation, makeups won't last long.

I already see the 2015 aluminum truck with $11,000.00 mark down and 0%