2017 Raptor and Power tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think it's an auto-close though...

but then again...

Tailgate Step with Tailgate Assist
The tailgate step is fully integrated inside the tailgate and the step comes down folded out. Includes lift assist feature.

what is 'lift assist'?

It's a shock that makes closing it easier. Lightens the load.....

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The shock does not help lift the gate. It just damps the opening, like the DeeZee add on for older models. The help in closing should come from a torsion bar inside the gate, just like all of the older 04-14 gates. All the 04+ F150s close super easy compared to 03 and older models w/o the torsion bar.

Accidental remote tailgate activation could possibly suck if you park close to a garage door. There are guys with the 15+ F150s looking to deactivate the feature due to damage from that exact scenario.

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The shock does not help lift the gate. It just damps the opening, like the DeeZee add on for older models. The help in closing should come from a torsion bar inside the gate, just like all of the older 04-14 gates. All the 04+ F150s close super easy compared to 03 and older models w/o the torsion bar.

Accidental remote tailgate activation could possibly suck if you park close to a garage door. There are guys with the 15+ F150s looking to deactivate the feature due to damage from that exact scenario.

Very good point, it should be a double button push or a double tap on the fob...Ford are you listening?....

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Very good point, it should be a double button push or a double tap on the fob...Ford are you listening?....

that's a great point - there's a camera on the tailgate - right? maybe used as a sensor to not lower the gate - beep beep beep alert (or something) LOL

this is why an auto down/up would be nice - it could stop the tailgate partially down it's path

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The main reason I would not want it is there is no manual way to open the gate. The latch is all electrically operated. I also don't think it really "locks"- the truck just disables the electric latch release.

The guys looking to disable the remote open either crack open the key fobs and disable the button, or you can do it in Forscan by reprogramming the BCM.

Edit: Here's the link http://www.f150forum.com/f118/remote-tailgate-warning-328375/

There's links in that one to other threads with tailgate damage as well.

I almost bought a 2016 Lariat, but picked up the 2013 Raptor instead.. did lots of research on the new trucks, so all of this '17 Raptor options stuff is a re-hash for me. Pretty much the same as all the other F150s.

Last edited:

Tonecapone

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have this feature on my 2015 Platinum. It is a double tap on the key fob button to release the tailgate. I personally love the feature. I initially thought that it would be superfluous but it has come in handy quite a few times when having to load up. Especially if you have a tonneau cover in place.
Tone

The Mav

FRF Addict
Reaction score
uk4Qqa2.gif

TiNyLoBo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: The 2017s still won't close themselves...but it's a fun trick when your adult children are standing around it and you think they're too close... =P

Also, the proximity of your key fob to the truck disables any sort of locking mechanism, so be aware if you're within a certain distance, someone can still slide your tailgate smooth off. I always hated that about the BMW, too, that anyone could pop the trunk if I was nearby just by pushing the emblem in the back. ::smh::

i am sure by the time the 2017 Raptor is out his will be able to close itself