GEN 2 2017 Raptor Discouraged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D-Dub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took delivery on 18 Jan 2017, less then 1000 miles and two weeks later... it is sitting at the dealership. Sync 3 completely blacked out, check engine light came on, temp gauge stopped working with a large over temp message in center cluster display after disconnecting neg battery cable to check fuses. Shut engine off, temp warning went away gauge worked. Did this twice. Check engine light still on, sync 3 completely dead to include USB ports. Learned from dealership they have to trace the three modules and wiring to insure no pinched wires etc, modules working, before they can check the sync 3 APIM because the ICD computer ford uses pulled the codes. If the wire harness traces and modules are good, then they check the APIM. If bad, only can special order from California. If in stock will be over nighted, if not gotta wait until it comes in. My 2016 F150 had issues right out of the box, windshield replaced because it was flawed. Had it only 3 months before I traded for the Raptor. Told sales manager These are the only 2 fords I have owned since I bought my 89 Mustang 5.0. Offered him to buy back the truck, with just a pay off, $7k and the rebate back on extended warranty and I will kick rocks back to GMC. All this started when I unplugged my iPhone on 31 Jan 2017 from the sync 3. The sync screen froze, shut the truck off, no more sync, dead a lot of nada!!! I'm out, done if the dealer don't want to except my offer. I'm unloading the truck as soon as I can. Going back to GMC! All the Ford electronics are made in China... hummmm real quality there. At least GMC primary gets its stuff from Canada and Mexico! Ford no more for me!!!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I am also sorry to hear this and your recent poor experiences. I know this doesn’t help you, but I’ve had a lot of cars and trucks. of all the 4 wheeled vehicles, the single most reliable I’ve had (and fun) was my 2001 Lightning. Sold in 2009, only 1 warranty claim - A/C compressor quit, with about 1 year left on my ext. warranty. I had my ’06 Subaru for 10 years, but only 64k miles, it had sporadic CEL for a general bus fault, but was otherwise trouble free... well, rotors wore out way early, as did cv boots...

You’re probably righteously angry and frustrated about now, and nobody can say anything that is going to make it better but I would offer this.

I’ve had a vehicle buy back (through court) and a host of needy cars. Before you decide the truck is cursed, give yourself a chance to calm down and think rationally. You will probably lose money offloading the Raptor now - maybe not, but my point is don’t make a decision in haste that will cost you money.

I’ll bet the radio isn’t the only part on the truck made in China, but let’s be real here, iPhones and other smart phones are also made in China and there’s cargo ships full of electronics made by Foxconn. Every manufacturer out there sources vendor parts.

I do sincerely wish you better fortune in the future. whether you keep the truck or dump it and go another direction.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Took delivery on 18 Jan 2017, less then 1000 miles and two weeks later... it is sitting at the dealership. Sync 3 completely blacked out, check engine light came on, temp gauge stopped working with a large over temp message in center cluster display after disconnecting neg battery cable to check fuses. Shut engine off, temp warning went away gauge worked. Did this twice. Check engine light still on, sync 3 completely dead to include USB ports. Learned from dealership they have to trace the three modules and wiring to insure no pinched wires etc, modules working, before they can check the sync 3 APIM because the ICD computer ford uses pulled the codes. If the wire harness traces and modules are good, then they check the APIM. If bad, only can special order from California. If in stock will be over nighted, if not gotta wait until it comes in. My 2016 F150 had issues right out of the box, windshield replaced because it was flawed. Had it only 3 months before I traded for the Raptor. Told sales manager These are the only 2 fords I have owned since I bought my 89 Mustang 5.0. Offered him to buy back the truck, with just a pay off, $7k and the rebate back on extended warranty and I will kick rocks back to GMC. All this started when I unplugged my iPhone on 31 Jan 2017 from the sync 3. The sync screen froze, shut the truck off, no more sync, dead a lot of nada!!! I'm out, done if the dealer don't want to except my offer. I'm unloading the truck as soon as I can. Going back to GMC! All the Ford electronics are made in China... hummmm real quality there. At least GMC primary gets its stuff from Canada and Mexico! Ford no more for me!!!
I'm only laughing because you are communicating with us on a device made in China, and don't think every component in a GMC is made in America.. lol! That's just silly.

Also all car brands have issues sometimes but Ford is far and away better then GMC.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D-Dub

D-Dub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great advice! You are right and appreciate the input. Never make a major decision anger or depressed. I know that. I am so POd right now. I have wanted a Raptor since they were first built for ICE and released to the public. I am at a point in life where I can afford and appreciate the good things in life. Truth be told I love the Raptor, loved my Mustang! I actually enjoy driving, built race cars, was the crew chief for Dirtwerks South Racing, I also raced desert racing. I just want to drive my truck, worry free. Thanks great info!

---------- Post added at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 AM ----------

Yeah I get it!!! It is pretty funny. Actually I said that most of the primary electronics are made in Canada and Mexico. But again let's look at the phones on fire!!! Samsung etc! I'm just disappointed, I've waited a looooog time to get into the Raptor. I've Been through this before!!! End the end it Seems I have had better reliability with GMC...

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

Yeah I get it!!! It is pretty funny. Actually I said that most of the primary electronics are made in Canada and Mexico. But again let's look at the phones on fire!!! Samsung etc! I'm just disappointed, I've waited a looooog time to get into the Raptor. I've Been through this before!!! End the end it Seems I have had better reliability with GMC...

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

Yeah seems the older F150s like the lightning, and some of the others were very reliable. I like Subies. My daughter and son in law both have WRX's!!! I also like Toyota TRD level trucks, including the TACO TRD!!!!

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Delco was absorbed by Remy International some time ago. They have manufacturing in the US, Mexico, Brazil, China and Korea. Most of the OE parts for GM are produced in the US and Mexico. Some are from Korea and others in China. Based on personal knowledge, China has the least quality control of all is all I am saying! Funny thing is iPhones are produced in both the US and iPhone City in China!!! IPhone city!!! Lmao

Autophanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sorry to hear about all the trouble--definitely no fun on a new vehicle. I had a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali, and I enjoyed it very much. However, within a few thousand miles, it developed a very prominent transmission clunk; felt as though you were rear ended by another vehicle, that bad. If you do any research on this, turns out it's very common with GM's new 8 speed. Even Motor Trend/Truck Trend identified this as an issue, during long term testing, after they crowned it 2016 Truck of The Year. Other criticisms would include a sub-par back up camera, no "keyless entry/push start" system, and, to my eye, a very underwhelming interior. Quality of materials is generally high, but design, again in my opinion, is very uninspiring. On the plus side, the engine is absolutely phenomenal (hampered, regrettably by the 8 speed), lighting, both interior and exterior, is first rate, telematics, including Apple Car Play, very adept, but again, smaller screen than Chrysler's Uconnect. I'm driving a relatively antiquated 2017 RAM Rebel, and I definitely prefer not only the dash design and electronic telematics, but also all the very clever storage areas engineered into the cockpit. Even the holder for your smartphone is the most brilliant design I have ever encountered, and I've purchased 49 new vehicles over the last 17 years, so I have a pool of which to compare. Overall, though, the GMC Sierra, since that's what you're planning on getting, is a very comfortable, capable, powerful (only applies to 6.2L for 1500 applications) handsome, quality built vehicle (transmission needs work), and I think you will be happy. Just don't expect it to be as exclusive as the Raptor :biggrin:.

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to keep my current trouble free truck for awhile just in case have similar issues.......

OP
OP
D-Dub

D-Dub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok - So after a couple of days and several doses of PTSD meds, I have gotten over my pity party! Thanks FRF for allowing me to vent. I realized I would not be selling my Raptor when I finally got some sleep and found myself looking up after market parts and making a wish list... thought how others are still waiting for theirs, and the holdups and what not, and it hit me, I was fortunate enough to at least pick mine up. KUDO's to the dealer, they put my truck to the head of the service schedule to get my truck back off road!!! Cheers - D-Dub

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Cute, very cute!!!! ROTFLMFAO

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

That is all I owned was GMC Sierra 1500 All Terrains, Z-71's etc since 2006, with the exception of a 2004 Silverado. My 2014 Sierra had the 5.3... that truck kept me in recall hell... and seemed underpowered, I've had other 5.3's but the 2014 seemed like it could not get out of it's own way!!! But I finally settled down, took several PTSD chill pills washed down with Makers Mark, and realized I have at least the good fortune of having my Raptor, while others are still waiting. I saw the error of my ways, and will be keeping it. Cheers