2017 Question on Sport Mode and 4A Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1Wolf

Reaction score
Just a question on a couple of the modes.

With regards to Sport Mode: Does anyone here just use "Sport Mode" all the time? Is that in any way "bad" for the truck?

My own Normal mode is "ok" but the responsiveness drives me nuts. Its fine if you are into the gas or off the gas. But if you get into the gas, hesitate (maybe because someone slowed in front of you), then get back on the gas (as if you are going to go around that person) it really hesitates, builds up boost, and THEN it goes.

Sport mode is much more responsive, but the problem my truck has in "Sport" mode is that it REALLY seems to like to hang onto 3rd gear. It seems to have a real affinity for 3rd gear. If I'm in the gas moderately...it'll hit 5K and just hold it there and never shift. Sometimes feathering the throttle a bit will convince it that 4th gear is fun too and that it should go ahead and shift. Sucks if I'm going around someone and they look over at me wondering why I'm revving so high to go around.

I've read others say that Sport Mode hangs onto gears, but does anyone else run into what I'm describing? Is that bad for the truck?

With regards to 4A mode...

Normally, on the streets, I'm in 2WD. However, this truck is really light and even on roads that are just "wet" from light rain, the truck likes to slip alot. Is it safe for the truck to run in 4A on wet roads? Or should 4A be reserved for only snow, ice, etc.?

Thanks in advance :)

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4A can be used all the time, it allows slippage front to rear so it functions like an all wheel drive car. When its wet, i almost always go into 4A

Dragonta2z

Reaction score
I drive in sport mode on a daily bases. Yes it shifts weirdly at first however has smoothed out greatly over time. I have 8100 Miles now. I use the 4A mode when it rains and being I live in Orlando it rains every afternoon. 4A only uses the front when needed like at initial launch, uneven surfaces and so forth. Predominantly RWD. I watched the power distribution screen and is shows how often it activates. Will not hurt. If you are concerned just use it when it’s wet out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is one mode for snow/rain also. Puts the truck in 4A also. You should be fine in sport also. When I'm in sport mode I can gently get on the throttle and it does not get to crazy with the higher revs. It took me awhile to find the right throttle input for sport so it would not get crazy all the time.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sport mode is one of the modes Ford provided. Using it some/all of the time won't hurt anything (RTFM).

4A is another mode. It's AWD (not 4WD).

RTFM

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When it is wet I won’t get into the throttle as the rear end has a tendency to slip and slide when wet and under power. I only use sport mode when I truly need the responsiveness of sport mode.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Just a question on a couple of the modes.

With regards to Sport Mode: Does anyone here just use "Sport Mode" all the time? Is that in any way "bad" for the truck?

My own Normal mode is "ok" but the responsiveness drives me nuts. Its fine if you are into the gas or off the gas. But if you get into the gas, hesitate (maybe because someone slowed in front of you), then get back on the gas (as if you are going to go around that person) it really hesitates, builds up boost, and THEN it goes.

Sport mode is much more responsive, but the problem my truck has in "Sport" mode is that it REALLY seems to like to hang onto 3rd gear. It seems to have a real affinity for 3rd gear. If I'm in the gas moderately...it'll hit 5K and just hold it there and never shift. Sometimes feathering the throttle a bit will convince it that 4th gear is fun too and that it should go ahead and shift. Sucks if I'm going around someone and they look over at me wondering why I'm revving so high to go around.

I've read others say that Sport Mode hangs onto gears, but does anyone else run into what I'm describing? Is that bad for the truck?

With regards to 4A mode...

Normally, on the streets, I'm in 2WD. However, this truck is really light and even on roads that are just "wet" from light rain, the truck likes to slip alot. Is it safe for the truck to run in 4A on wet roads? Or should 4A be reserved for only snow, ice, etc.?

Thanks in advance :)

If you’re spending a lot of time on 2 lane roads or divided roads with a 55 mph or slightly under speed limit, my testing gave me about 1mpg worse in sport mode only in conditions in which I was at about 45-50 most of the time, because in sport mode I’m in 7th-8th gear for that range, whereas normal will upshift to 10th. That’s the only case in which I lost mpg doing the same driving style in same conditions. YOUR mileage may vary but, like you, if there’s a hint I’m driving in any sort of traffic or will need throttle response, sport mode it is. Otherwise, I got the same mpg between normal and sport as reported on the dash display.

I’ve noticed the same rpm hang and many others here have too.
Pedal commander goes a long way to making ‘normal’ mode more tolerable. Running the p/c in sport makes normal mode pretty ok, but the one thing it can’t do is make the transmission shift smoothly and quickly down from 10th, so say 4th or 5th gear. I leave it in city +1 so it’s not super touchy on throttle inputs.