2017 F-150 Raptor - Owner first impressions and review thread!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K-Doob

Reaction score
Like shooter65 I've been checking this forum since placing my order in mid October. I was able to customize the first allocation from my local dealer and played the waiting game. I ordered a Lightning Blue SuperCrew with the 802a package, tailgate applique & step, moonroof, heated steering wheel and heated second row, . My truck was built on 12/6 and arrived at the local shipping yard 12/15, then the next day at the dealership. I took delivery on 12/16.

Here are my impressions:

- Lightning Blue without the graphics packages looks amazing in person. Way better than all of the press images we've seen so far.
- The ride quality caught is great, and perfect for Atlanta's bad roads.
- The sounds pretty good inside and out. You can definitely hear some turbo and intake noise. Exhaust note is deep.
- Engine break-in period is killing me. Just knowing how much power I have on tap but can't use until the process is completed.
- I'm still not sold on the transmission. Doing 45-50mph in 10th is great for cruising but in normal it takes a decent amount of throttle to get it to downshift.

I'll continue to document my thoughts and impressions as I put on more miles.

50361716095__A6E365C7-4A53-4696-8BED-E9EFD1FDAB00.JPG

50361717896__7FC9336B-D820-4F94-9A3A-65ADDB39A43A.JPG

50361720995__B075FFA0-0EAF-4292-838B-0B5FFDFB19B4.JPG

IMG_4897.JPG

IMG_4900.JPG

IMG_4902.JPG

Ltl6pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like shooter65 I've been checking this forum since placing my order in mid October. I was able to customize the first allocation from my local dealer and played the waiting game. I ordered a Lightning Blue SuperCrew with the 802a package, tailgate applique & step, moonroof, heated steering wheel and heated second row, . My truck was built on 12/6 and arrived at the local shipping yard 12/15, then the next day at the dealership. I took delivery on 12/16.

Here are my impressions:

- Lightning Blue without the graphics packages looks amazing in person. Way better than all of the press images we've seen so far.
- The sounds pretty good inside and out. You can definitely hear some turbo and intake noise. Exhaust note is deep.
- Engine break-in period is killing me. Just knowing how much power I have on tap but can't use until the process is completed.
- I'm still not sold on the transmission. Doing 45-50mph in 10th is great for cruising but in normal it takes a decent amount of throttle to get it to downshift.

50361716095__A6E365C7-4A53-4696-8BED-E9EFD1FDAB00.JPG

50361717896__7FC9336B-D820-4F94-9A3A-65ADDB39A43A.JPG

50361720995__B075FFA0-0EAF-4292-838B-0B5FFDFB19B4.JPG

IMG_4897.JPG

IMG_4900.JPG

IMG_4902.JPG

Wow, she does look good! I have the same but I also got the graphics hood and bed, my truck was built on 10/27, as of today per Ford Chat it is still in production! Maybe one day! Nice truck, keep us updated on how she does!

Bishop1134

Reaction score
My truck provenance: 2007 5.7l Tundra DC -> 2014 Raptor Screw -> 2016 Platinum EB Screw (fleet vehicle) -> 2017 Raptor Screw

- Up until now, the Tundra was the fastest, the Raptor was fun, badass, and capable, and the Platinum was the most techie/comfortable.
- no longer...

My impressions after 1 week...

- surprised it doesn't have self park and massage seats... ok, who cares...

Important stuff...

- I really like Avalanche. It's de-badged, no appliqué, and still menacing. Way more than my '14 Terrain
- I think the exhaust note is piped in through the stereo, but when I roll down the window, it can't be that much. If you get on it, it's pretty loud. Pleasing.
- I agree with a previous post that it doesn't feel like a 5s car; that said, the speedometer would say otherwise. The number of times I've stomped on it and felt like I was going 40 only to find out I was going 60...
- Snow and Ice here these last few days.. 4A + tires are great. Great feature.
- Car Play and Sync 3 so far is a huge! improvement. Haven't tried Android yet.
- Stereo system is the best so far in a truck. Sub is as clean and responsive as I've heard in a factory system.
- Interior is on par with the 2016. Better. Textured bezels are nice, may be tough to clean long term. I'm worried they'll burnish and get shiny in spots.
- Carbon Fiber is real, but it's cosmetic. i.e. It's not for weight savings.
- Headlights suck (high beams are okay). Same as the 2016. 2014 HIDs were fantastic by comparison.
- Stop/Start hasn't helped my gas mileage, doesn't bother me.
- The ride is stiffer than the 14, but better... I forgot how much I missed the rumble of the Fox shocks.
- The engine sounds mechanical. It sounds more like a Porsche than a Ford. This may be my favorite part.

I could nitpick for sure, but I ordered on blind faith based on my previous one, and this one doesn't disappoint.

I'll get some better photos in a few days.

Attachments

• day0.jpg
    day0.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Here are my impressions:

Congrats on your tuck, I ordered LB as well. You are supposed to be able to lock some gears out of that transmission, using the paddle shifters. Might want to read up on locking out gears if cruising in 10th @ 45 isn't what you want. Also, sport mode should allow you to hold gears longer, which may help.

#jealous

ldhacker

Reaction score
Why don't one of you use the stop watch on your phone and step on it and start the clock and let us know what you get. I have a 13 with a tune. I get 6.6 to 6.7.

Scubasigguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck provenance: 2007 5.7l Tundra DC -> 2014 Raptor Screw -> 2016 Platinum EB Screw (fleet vehicle) -> 2017 Raptor Screw

- Up until now, the Tundra was the fastest, the Raptor was fun, badass, and capable, and the Platinum was the most techie/comfortable.
- no longer...

My impressions after 1 week...

- surprised it doesn't have self park and massage seats... ok, who cares...

Important stuff...

- I really like Avalanche. It's de-badged, no appliqué, and still menacing. Way more than my '14 Terrain
- I think the exhaust note is piped in through the stereo, but when I roll down the window, it can't be that much. If you get on it, it's pretty loud. Pleasing.
- I agree with a previous post that it doesn't feel like a 5s car; that said, the speedometer would say otherwise. The number of times I've stomped on it and felt like I was going 40 only to find out I was going 60...
- Snow and Ice here these last few days.. 4A + tires are great. Great feature.
- Car Play and Sync 3 so far is a huge! improvement. Haven't tried Android yet.
- Stereo system is the best so far in a truck. Sub is as clean and responsive as I've heard in a factory system.
- Interior is on par with the 2016. Better. Textured bezels are nice, may be tough to clean long term. I'm worried they'll burnish and get shiny in spots.
- Carbon Fiber is real, but it's cosmetic. i.e. It's not for weight savings.
- Headlights suck (high beams are okay). Same as the 2016. 2014 HIDs were fantastic by comparison.
- Stop/Start hasn't helped my gas mileage, doesn't bother me.
- The ride is stiffer than the 14, but better... I forgot how much I missed the rumble of the Fox shocks.
- The engine sounds mechanical. It sounds more like a Porsche than a Ford. This may be my favorite part.

I could nitpick for sure, but I ordered on blind faith based on my previous one, and this one doesn't disappoint.

I'll get some better photos in a few days.

Do you really think the headlights aren't as bright as your 2014? I am asking because I didn't really notice a difference going from my 2014 Raptor to my 2015 EBP. My night vision kinda sucks anyway, and my Raptor was set at mid perch without fully adjusting the headlight aim. When I went from my 2013 EBP to my Raptor I noticed a huge difference. This has me curious...