20" wheels and leaving the ground

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So has anyone actually high speed offroaded, or maybe even did some mild jumping with their Raptor on 20" wheels? Couldn't care less if you think I shouldn't put 20" wheels on my truck..... just need to know if it will fold up if I leave the ground.

FordraptorHero

Reaction score
common sense says easier to fold up the rim, less cushion for off roading. yours 20s will impress the ladies at star bucks though.

kdkellie

Reaction score
again... couldn't possibly give a shit less about an opinion. I'm looking for real world experience. Broke a 20" wheel or haven't... nothing more.
I think it would depend if the wheels are forged or cast. I would contact the manufacture of the wheels you decide to go with. I like the look of the bigger wheel. I'll be putting Forged 3 piece 22x10 on mine as soon as they get here.

Sent from my BBA100-1 using Tapatalk

FordraptorHero

Reaction score
Not an opinion, if you know anything about physics it will make sense to you.

Push anything hard enough it will break. Pushing a 17 inch wheel wrapped in 37's is much less likely to break than pushing a 20 inch wheel wrapped in 37s

Also with 17's you have more side wall to absorb stuff.

so thats up to you to decide on, how hard will you be pushing your truck,the quality of wheel you are buying, etc. but yes I'm sure 20's could work, however they are typically more pricey to replace if one does break and are generally more prone to breaking. I've seen a 20 inch rim folded up like a coke can on an f350 after the driver went a lil too quick.

if you want the 20's buy em dont need our opinion right?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow. ok. so you dont want the opinions of people who have actually gotten their trucks airborn. this is not about who has done it. you probably wont find anyone who has. the people who keep the truck on the street will put 20" rims on. the people who go offroad will stick with the 17" rim. logic really. taking that much tire away and trying to get air is most likely not going to end well. people tear out fender liners when getting air. why? because the tire compresses and gets wider and hits the liner. this amount of compression is what saves the rim from making contact with the ground. using a 20" rim means you have a lot less tire. you may get away with it a couple times, but in the end, it going to cause damage. also, what type of terrain you plan on jumping? dirt road? rocky high speed? off camber launch? sand dunes? these are all variables that have to be taken into consideration. and i would definitely listen to people opinions, especially if they have gotten airborn. they know what to expect and have done it successfully several times.

OP
OP
Freedombyforce
Reaction score
Not an opinion, if you know anything about physics it will make sense to you.

Push anything hard enough it will break. Pushing a 17 inch wheel wrapped in 37's is much less likely to break than pushing a 20 inch wheel wrapped in 37s

Also with 17's you have more side wall to absorb stuff.

so thats up to you to decide on, how hard will you be pushing your truck,the quality of wheel you are buying, etc. but yes I'm sure 20's could work, however they are typically more pricey to replace if one does break and are generally more prone to breaking. I've seen a 20 inch rim folded up like a coke can on an f350 after the driver went a lil too quick.

if you want the 20's buy em dont need our opinion right?

Exactly... pushing anything hard enough it will break. I'm not in an F350. Looking for someone that will speak up that has or has not broke a 20" wheel while offroading a Raptor. Thanks for your opinion though.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Exactly... pushing anything hard enough it will break. I'm not in an F350. Looking for someone that will speak up that has or has not broke a 20" wheel while offroading a Raptor. Thanks for your opinion though.

Nobody really runs 20s and goes hard in the paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk